Velodyne Dilemma

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mike_ R_R, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Mike_ R_R

Mike_ R_R Auditioning

Could someone please help me make a more informed decision regarding a subwoofer purchase? I am looking at a Velodyne CHT-12 ($400), SPL series II 1000 ($1000), and a SPL series II 1200 ($1120). My room size is approximately 14x30. Is the SPL series really worth $600-$720 more than the CHT? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Equipment
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR701
    Mains- MB Quart QLS1030
    Center- MB Quart QLS 330CTR
    Rears- Klipsch SB-3
    DVD & CD- Sony

2. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

I know around here you won't get much love for the Velodynes. This is SVS and Hsu territory.

I've always heard the SPL series was sold mostly for the smaller size cabinets compared to the CHT. The higher wattage amps are their to compensate for the smaller dimensions. Just FYI, OneCall has the CHT series for quite a bit cheaper than the price you have listed. I have often thought about getting one of those CHT-12's myself. I am afraid one of the forum members may come by my house and beat me up if I do it. [​IMG]

Michael

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

If you are potentially looking at the $1,100-$1,200 price point, there are far better and more capable choices than the Velo SPL series.

Exactly.

The amplifier wattage is only one factor of many that will determine subwoofer performance. The smaller the enclosure, the less efficient the unit will be. It isn't uncommon for a small, sealed enclosure to have 1W/1M sensitivity ratings in the 80 dB range.

A larger enclosure will be much more sensitive, maybe 90+ dB @ 1W/1M.

When you consider it takes 10 watts into the 80 dB sub to reach 90 dB, the issue of amp power and enclosure size/efficiency comes into stark perspective.

10W = 90 dB @ 1M
    100W = 100 dB @ 1M
    200W = 103 dB @ 1M
    400W = 106 dB @ 1M
    800W = 109 dB @ 1M
    1000W = 110 dB @ 1M

Now look at the larger more efficient sub:

1W = 90 dB @ 1M
    10W = 100 dB @ 1M
    20W = 103 dB @ 1M
    40W = 106 dB @ 1M
    80W = 109 dB @ 1M
    100W = 110 dB @ 1M

You can see it would take 1,000 watts for the small inefficient sealed unit to produce 110 dB @ 1M. The larger more efficient unit can do the same with only 100 watts.

Now you see why the DIY crowd and companies like SVS can get away with 300 watt amps in the PCi and sonotube designs; they are very efficient.

Ed

4. Daniel_AVR

Daniel_AVR Extra

Mike,

I'll add my 2 cent comment;

I had a CHT10 for a few week myself, and it was a nice sub for his price range, even if it was a bit boomy. I can't talk for other Velodyne models, but what took my attention in your question is the size of your room.... it's pretty huge.... You'll need to move lots of air to evenly fill the room with bass....

If it was mine I would definitely look for 2 subs instead of one... regardless of the price of the sub..... Or look at least for a 15" model, like CHT 15, it looks like a great sub for the price and had many good reviews even here in the SVS territory [​IMG]

Daniel

5. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Like I could really find you. As I told my wife after taking our daughter trick-or-treating in our neighborhood, "everyone is 30 something with at least one kid under 5 and a big screen TV." I suspect the three blocks between our subdivisions won't change that.

6. Mike_ R_R

Mike_ R_R Auditioning

Or would it be better to add 2 CHT-12's ($800)?

7. Carl Gaff

Carl Gaff Second Unit

Mike,

I happen to be a Velodyne fan. My home theater room (which doubles as my living room and dining room) measures 24'-6" X 18'-4". It has a vaulted ceiling (that slopes up one way) and two open doorways to the kitchen and hallway. I have two Velodyne subs and think they are excellent. I have a CHT-15 along the left wall 3' from the corner. I also have an SPL-12 on the opposite wall in the corner. This combination has worked well for me. I had to experiment with the sub crossovers for a while but am quite content with the present set-up. I started out with only the CHT-15 but with my room set-up I wasn't satisfied. Now I am.

8. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

If I were thinking two CHT-12's, I would start looking at the SVS PB2-ISD. I think it would out do the Velodynes and probably be a better set up. Email SVS your room dimensions and see what they advise. Maybe you don't even need something that big. Try not to get too stuck on Velodyne just for the name. I've heard that the DD line is top quality but the rest are a little pricey for the quality of product and quality of bass. More is not always better. There is a quality aspect of bass.

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I am also a Velodyne fan but in all honesty SVS will serve you better for the $$. Not just in SPL but in the quality of SPL/db/sound for the $$.

Two CHT-12's will cost you around $800 or so. Please take a strong look at the PB2-ISD if this is your limit? The 2-ISD will be much more enjoyable I assure you. I am not going with what others say but from my own personal experience being a past dual Vel ct-150 owner. You know what you know.

TT [​IMG]

10. Mike_ R_R

Mike_ R_R Auditioning

Thank you all. Your opinions will weigh in on my decision.

11. chris.y

chris.y Auditioning

Mike - I actually have a similar setup to yours with the MB Quart 1030s in front, 330 in the middle and the 530s as surrounds. I am driving the system with an NAD T762 and my room is about 11x20.

My sub is a PB1-ISD and it is a terrific combination with the MB Quarts; my guess is that you'll be very happy with Steve's PB2-ISD suggestion.

The 1030's do go down to 28hz and sound great; I did the crossover at 60hz and I've been very happy.

12. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Chris - MB Quarts and an NAD receiver...do we shop at the same place? [​IMG]

Glad to hear about the SVS going well with the MBQs. I'm in a bit of a financial downturn (along w/ most of California) but when it's back up, I plan to get an SVS too. Right now I'm doing okay with my Energy e:XL-S12 sub, but I'm really wanting that extra deepness that a nice SVS ISD (probably the 20hz version) can bring to the table.

13. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Mike_R_R:

Where are you located at? If you are in the US then an SVS would be good as would a Velodyne but from what I heard of a properly calibrated Velodyne I wasn't all that impressed with it after hearing a properly calibrated SVS CS+ setup. This was the HGS15 I heard which was supposedly an outstanding subwoofer.

If you are in Canada or not in the US, then an SVS might actually cost you more and that might factor in the decision. Something to think about.