What's new

Velodyne DD18 (1 Viewer)

PatrickS

Stunt Coordinator
I have another :crazy: idea.

If Steve decides to keep both subs, I have another possible scenario. Since you are only about a half hour away, if Steve is acceptable to the idea and it's not too much hassle for you, what if you bring your testing gear and test both subs measurements in Steve's yard (GP)?

Is that even a remote possibility? Or am I just grabbing at straws? :D

Best Regards,
Patrick

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Patrick, If memory serves, Steve lives near the West Coast, and I live in Pennsylvania... THAT seems like a stretch, for sure ... ;)

Steve ... You have two fantastic subwoofers in your possession ... Yes, I preferred the Maestro over the B4+ for SQ ... but (and I know, this sounds like a broken record) ... EVERYONE who has changed from the "plus" driver SVS to the "Ultra" driver SVS, whether box or cylinder, has ALSO preferred the Ultra to the Plus ... and this preference/improvement is not related to SPL.

Simply stated, people find that the "ULTRA" sounds better.

Putting it this way ... If the B4+ is a "9", sonically ... then the Maestro is a "10" ... it stands to reason that the PB12-Ultra/2 is ALSO a "10" ... yes, that is a simple analogy, but it gets the point across.

So ... Steve... Just have fun, tell us what yur listening impressions are, and don't fret if it takes you a few days or even weeks to really get a firm resolution ... :)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Just catching up with this thread.......

Up front, Steve - don't ever feel pressured or obligated to explain your final decision to anyone, no matter how these two products shake out objectively. Go with the product you think sounds the best to your ears, and which suits your particular needs better, and don't look back.

While we all like to hear impressions from owners, if you feel doing so puts you between a rock and a hard place - then just say so and we all should respect that. :emoji_thumbsup:

This is rather insightful of Steve, actually. We can't assume a 10 dB advantage at 18 Hz on a low level FR sweep will translate into a 10 dB advantage in distortion-limited output at 18 Hz, or that the FR profile will remain linear as the playback level nears -5 RL.

And as Patrick correctly states, the clean output and compression limits of the Ultra in the 20 Hz tune will incrementally drop (compared to the 25 Hz tune) across most of the pass band, even as clean output and extension improves greatly below about 22 Hz. So an assessment of the overall performance in the 20 Hz tune (including mid-bass output levels) would be in order, not just the obvious improvement observed with the infrasonic stuff. If you do try the 20 Hz tune Steve, bumping the sub level 2.0-2.5 dB will essentially maintain the same overall calibration level as you started with in the 25 Hz tune.

Personally, if Steve does return the Maestro, I hope Craig DOES buy it, because then he will have it and the DD-18 together. If he is ever passing through upstate NY, he can throw both in the sport SUV and I'll even drag out the PB12-Ultra/2 for a retest since I'll have his muscle for help.

But if the testing never happens, it shouldn't really matter - I for one will not second guess Steve's decision; let's not lose sight of our collective goal as enthusiasts: Keep whatever puts the biggest smile on our face, and don't worry about anything else. :)

PatrickS

Stunt Coordinator

Woops!:b

For some reason I was thinking he lived in PA somewhere!

Oh well, nice try!

Indeed Steve, As Ed says just take your time and go with the sound you prefer. I know so far you prefer different subs with different tracks. In any case don't feel obligated to share any info or insights you may find. Would it be nice? For sure! But this is supposed to be fun, so please don't feel pressured to do anything!

Best Regards,
Patrick

dave alan

Second Unit
OK...Ya got me.

One of these days I'm gonna remember that a thread that's titled 'Velodyne DD18' really is about everything but a Velodyne DD18. :cool:

terence

Supporting Actor

LMAO! Dave,

You are a funny guy, i thought the same thing ohhhhh say about 7 or 8 post ago "BUT" it's still a cool thread!:emoji_thumbsup:

Here is a shining example of why i love HTF, no one has gotten all pissed off about it, and can make jokes having fun with it. :)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member

I would be glad to Pat as long as it stays fun and civil. I'll just let the cards fall where they fall and see whats dealt?:emoji_thumbsup:

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Steve ... Ed actually loves to graph things a LOT more than do I. It is something about that engineer's background of his. As he continues his reviewing "career", look for even bigger and better stuff from him. I use "career" in quotes because I am familiar with the payscale... Ed does NOT do this for the $$$$ ... :) It is a labor of love.

As for your qualifications: 1. You bought both subs. 2. Your ears are as good as anyone else's. 3. Therefore, you are qualified.

Good stuff on the WAF situation. No way do you make it a year. For a disclaimer, make it a year from the time you ordered the FIRST Ultra ... :D

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Craig I just made a reply to you and then deleted it... As much as I appreciate your humor and kind words, I really need to get out of this Thread pronto.

I'll be sure to copy and paste first thing in the new Thread. I'm not taking the (Hijack) status on this one.:) It was a team effort I tell ya!:D

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka

This would have been the ideal option, but I guess we'll never see it going to happen... Atleast not with Steve's Maestro. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks