Velodyne DD-12 for 2 ch. music setup

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ArthurJ, Nov 13, 2004.

1. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

I have a pre-amp, amp, and two tower speakers...I want to integrate a Velodyne DD-12, my pre-amp does not have a sub-out...I am wondering if it is possible to integrate it without the internal crossover of the sub affecting the sound of my tower speakers, I don't want to cross-over anything, I just want the sub to "add" to my system, same idea behind REL subwoofers...is this possible?

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

do you have available pre-outs?

if not, you can connect the sub via a speaker-level connection (provided it has speaker-level inputs), ideally to another pair of binding posts, if you have 'em, otherwise to the same binding posts that your speakers are connected to.

either way, you'll use the sub's built in crossover to adjust it appropriately for your speakers' natural roll-off and your own personal bass preference.

3. Eric Chong

Eric Chong Extra

Arthur,

I have an HGS12 which is similar to the DD12 and I use it for 2 ch bass assist. My pre(pro) has both balanced and unbalanced outputs. The L&R XLR (balanced) feed the power amp for my speakers. The L&R RCA (unbalanced) feed the HGS12. I then adjust the HGS12 to pickup where my speakers roll off. If you only have set of outputs on your preamp then you could get the good ol Y splitters for each channel these are available in both balanced and unbalanced but chances are if you have balanced outputs, you will also have unbalanced one as well.

4. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Pre-amp has both balanced and unbalanced outputs...

5. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Ok I realized I will be using my balanced outputs on my pre-amp to connect my balanced inputs on my Amplifier. That leaves me with unbalanced input/output on both my pre-amp and my amp. Which one would be better to hook my sub up to? Will there be a difference in sound?

Secondly, I have balanced and unbalanced Direct 1 inputs that I think will be unused, will there be any benefit of hooking my sub up to either of these over the aforementioned? Lastly, what is considered the BEST way to integrate a sub into a 2 ch. rig?

6. Eric Chong

Eric Chong Extra

For the longer run use balanced connections as it has better noise rejection. For short runs I doubt anybody will hear a difference unless there are some serious design flaws in the outputs (preamp) and inputs (power amp or sub) which is highly unlikely.

I am not sure about the Direct input on the sub, I am guessing it bypasses the internal x-over and possibly gain controls. I would check with the DD12 manual.