Velodyne ct-100 too boomy????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eddie Sanchez, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Eddie Sanchez

I bought a Velodyne CT-100, but to me its sounds too boomy...Is it just me or does this SUB suppose to sounds like this for both music and HT. The Bass I get from my car stereo and the boom box that I have produce much more tight Bass than this SUB. I heard that placement has to do with it. But just because the sub is not place properly in the room it will it cause it to sound BOOMY?????? Does the receiver has to do anything with how a sub sounds???? I have a Sony Receiver??????

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>I bought a Velodyne CT-100, but to me its sounds too boomy...Is it just me or does this SUB suppose to sounds like this for both music and HT. The Bass I get from my car stereo and the boom box that I have produce much more tight Bass than this SUB. I heard that placement has to do with it. But just because the sub is not place properly in the room it will it cause it to sound BOOMY?????? Does the receiver has to do anything with how a sub sounds???? I have a Sony Receiver??????

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Eddie: I'm running a CT-100 with a Sony in my bedroom and I think it works pretty well. Depending on which Sony you are using, the crossover may be as high as 100 or 120 Hz. When a sub plays up into this region, it is likely that it can be "heard" much easier as boomy. (of course, this is in addition to the problems that positioning creates.)
    As Tom mentions, you also need to match levels between your sub and your other speakers by using an sound pressure level meter and some bass tones (Radio Shack sells the meter and Stereophile.com sells a decent test CD (I prefer CD #1.)) And even after that, you may discover like I did that you still need to tweak by ear a little. Especially for music.
    ------------------

4. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I recently purchased the CT-100, and I could tell you that placement and calibrating with other speakers have a lot to do with the boomines you're experiancing. I had my sub in a corner and the volume up to high. Once I moved it around and I matched it better to my towers I felt that it was much more pleasant to listen to.

5. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

No problems with my Velo CT100. I have mine corner placed with a crossover from my receiver at 80hz.
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

6. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Also, keep in mind that you while you do most likely want to corner-load the sub, you also don't want it too close to the walls. Make sure it's AT LEAST 6 inches from either wall in the corner.
    You can also tighten up the bass quite a bit by getting two patio stones from your local hardware store and putting one underneath and a lighter one on top of the sub (I use an old towel in between to keep from scratching my sub). Sounds silly, but it works...