Velodyne CT-100 humming????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eddie Sanchez, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Eddie Sanchez

I have a veldyne CT-100 that starting humming when the there is no signal going to the sub. If I watching a movie and the scene is really quite I can hear the hum. But once action starts I can't here it of course cause the sub is in action. But once there is no LFE going to the sub again hum. If I turn down the volume on the sub it stops if I crank it to more than 3-4 I hear the hum really annoying. This is a refurbished sub. Its a CT-100 box and woffer with a CHT-120 AMP. If I disconnect the singal from the receiver I can still the hum. THe sub had a slight hum from the amp and I could hear it when it was dead quite in the house. Other than that you could bearly hear it. The sub is about 9 months old and it just started doing this hum any ideas?????

2. Roger Kint

Roger Kint Stunt Coordinator

I recently bought a CT-100 which hummed and I could hear it clear across the room, maybe 30 ft away if I listened for it. I always had to switch it off becuase it was annoying. I talked to Velodyne and since I live close enough they said why not just bring it in. They told me that the hum is usually caused by the mounts used for the amp. They replaced it and most of the hum went away. It is not totally quiet but is way better than before. I could hear it up to maybe a few feet away only, if I listened for it, otherwise I wouldn't notice it.

These Velo subs are notorius for humming. It's the lowest model line so I guess what can you expect? I plan to upgrade anyway, maybe to an HGS or Sunfire - for those price ranges I'm thinking/hoping there should be no hum or at least very minimal/negligent hum.

3. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I have a cht8 and a ct150..and no problems .. I did buy a open box ct100 and had returned it due to the humming...+ the led on the amp was red ... Guess there is a common issue with this amp?