Velodyne CHT8

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by BruceVC, Oct 13, 2003.

1. BruceVC

BruceVC Extra

I've been checking out reviews on the Velodyne CHT8 sub but was wondering what people here thought of the company, their product and any experiences they have had. I noticed in a previous post that the customer service is very good. Thank you!

Bruce
    Raleigh, NC

2. larry mac

larry mac Stunt Coordinator

Bruce,

I'm not an expert on subs by any means but would like to share my Velodyne experience.

About 3 years ago I was considering getting my first sub. I was in Circuit City and saw a demo open box model, I think it was a CT100. Regular price I believe was $429 and this was $329. So I got it, brought it home, and hooked it up.
    When playing a music CD it was spectacular, truly outstanding. The bass notes seemed very crisp and defined, not muddy or anything. For movie soundtracts it was a little disappointing I thought. Maybe my expectations were too high but it didn't exactly shake the house down. Now I think that it was an 8" sub so not a very big one.

So being my first exposure to a sub I returned it (it was also a money thing, $350 was more than I really wanted to part with at the time).

A while later I bought a cheaper JBL sub and it was absolutely a POS. It was one of those that had the hard plastic grill. I think it was still $200 or more though. I returned it right away.

Next I bought a $99 KLH sub at Costco and still have it. It's really not too bad for movies but not anywhere near the Velodyne for music.

I wish I had kept the CT100!

3. ShaunLB

ShaunLB Stunt Coordinator

Though I don't own a Velodyne (yet...waiting for some more spending money) I can tell you what people think of the company. They are far and away one of the most respected at any of their price points. Sure, some SVS models or Do It Yourself models might outperform them in some areas and price points, but you're not likely to see many "man, the Velodyne is a POS" posts or "dangit, I blew another Velodyne". Very good stuff from a company with a great sub reputation.

4. Gary G

Gary G Auditioning

i have a cht 10...love it...gonna move up to a cht 12 soon,for the money i couldnt be happier

5. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I have a ct150 and a cht8...love the Velo subs. One day..I'd like to have one of their tops subs...but the ones I have now..do the job well IMO

6. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Great company that makes some of the best subs available.