velodyne CHT10 or paradigm PDR10

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ChrisBrander, Mar 18, 2004.

1. ChrisBrander

ChrisBrander Auditioning

Thanks to everyone who advised me to buy a sub over a center. Here's a new question, then I promise I'll stop bugging everyone for a while. Velodyne CHT-10 or Paradigm PDR-10. Both are $250. Both seem to pump out a lot of nice bass for the money. I can't decide. Anyone own either one currently or in the past?

2. Daniel_AVR

Daniel_AVR Extra

Chris,

I had a CHT10 on trial a few month ago. It was my first sub, picked by the reviews I readed about. I found an honest performer for the price, but was a bit disappointed by the quality of the components.... a 40 oz magnet driver.... foam surround, no long stroke driver here... looks like a 45$ driver... And it was a bit too boomy for my taste.... so I finally returned it and builded my own sub using Part express Titanic MKII 12" driver in a 3.4 ft^3 ported box.... it's awesome...

Looking at the available spec and pictures, Paradigm seems to use an higher quality driver than Velodyne in their CHT10... definitely worth a look .... take them together to a listening test session....

You could buy one CHT-10 from CC with their 30 day free trial and take it to your Paradigm dealer for a back to back test against PDR-10... then make your choice...

good luck

Daniel

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

A $45.00 driver? You're being much too generous. My guess is that the driver probably cost them $4.00 and, as a consumer, we could probably get our hands on such a driver for $20.00 - $30.00.

4. Daniel_AVR

Daniel_AVR Extra

Ok ok, maybe I was talking about Can $.. :wink:

5. john aprile

john aprile Agent

PDR 10 is a boom box !!

6. Yousaf

Yousaf Second Unit

I know this isn't one of your choices and, even though I have absolutely no vested interest in this, I feel as though it is my duty to inform you of this thread here. I'm pretty sure the Hsu's would beat either of your choices by a good margin, but the choice is yours.

7. john aprile

john aprile Agent

Yousaf ,

Duty ?? [​IMG]

8. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Duty? The guy is in Jersey. There is no duty within the US. And yes if he can get one of those STF-2s it will be better then either of the other two.

Here is the link to Tom Vousaine's measurements. THe PDR series are boom boxes. PDR-12 clean to only 50Hz and the Pdr-10 clean to only 42hz.