Velodyne CHT sends H/K into protect

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by WilliamPC, Nov 9, 2004.

1. WilliamPC

WilliamPC Agent

I just bought these from Velodyne:

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/pro...V&sid=447f725b

$172 with tax and free shipping. I just hooked up the front 3 to my H/K reciever. I know the connections are good as I swapped them out with my Pioneer towers and Athena center.

My H/K AVR230 immediatly goes into protect. As you can see from the link I provided, these are 6 ohm speakers. It clearly says though that they are compatible with 8 ohm recievers.

Can my H/K just not handle them?

2. WilliamPC

WilliamPC Agent

Nevermind. Just rechecked wiring and one of the connects wasnt screwed down tight and and the speaker cable slipped out.

They now work. Cant really test them out right now as its late. Got a bit of imsomnia going on [​IMG]

For the price I think these are going to be hard to beat.

Anyone familiar with them?

3. WilliamPC

WilliamPC Agent

sorry, I also realized that I am in the wrong forum. Mods please move if possible!

BTW, anyone know a good way to paint or refinish vinyl laminate? Should I just re-vinyl them? Paint? Fuzzy fur?

Seriously guys, this set it really a great value. Great fror a small room or a secong HT like in a bedroom.

They sound a little blocky and dark right now but I am sure they will loosed up as they break in.

I might be looking for a matching velodyne sub as all I have is a Costco special KLH 10. Does all right but distorts a high levels.

4. Aaron Smithski

Aaron Smithski Stunt Coordinator

Those little Velodynes are a great deal for $159...too bad they are white though!

I picked up a set about 8 months ago for $220 shipped off eBay; using them in my family room second system. They will "open up" a bit after a few hours are put on them. These things seem to thrive on big power as well. I have a Parasound HCA-1205A running them and they will flat out crank, and sound very good doing so as well. Very impressive for the investment.

Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity reviewed them back in 2000, and gave them high marks. The tester hooked up a Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature amp (400 wpc into 8 ohms) to them and they took everything his ears could stand. He could not find their overload limit due to a distortion-limiting overload circuit in the speaker's crossover. The review is here:http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...rs-8-2000.html

I understand your desire to refinish the vinyl! Mine are black -- the white is just plain ugly. There are DIY vinyl dyes available that should work if you are so inclined to invest your time.

Also, I saw Velodyne has the SPL-523 package in charcoal on special for $259. I installed this combo for my uncle a year ago and it too is a very nice sounding system. He was looking into a Bose system and I just couldn't let him do it, so I bailed him out. [​IMG] The speakers have a very balanced sound, and the mounting system they have is pretty nifty as well. He's real happy with them!