Velodyne CHT-15?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mark Russ, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

How is this sub? I was just in a local Circuit City yesterday, and I noticed they had 2 of them there, one was open box and the other was the display model. Turns out they were the only 2 left in any CC stores in my whole state. They both were tested and checked out fine, and they both come with full warranty.

Long story short, I bought them both at the 'open box' price of $409 plus tax each. Plus, they had 24 month interest free financing to boot, so that works out to approximately $30 a month for the 2 of them.

Was this a good price for a descent sub?

I did have Infinity IL120S. Is the Velo CHT15 a definite upgrade?

Specifically, how would 2 of them stacked fare against anything else out there at the $820 price mark?

My ultimate dream sub is the SVS PB2ISD, but unfortunately I can't come up with the cash at this moment for it.

2. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

You did fairly well Mark. The Velodyne CHT-15 is no slouch.

http://members.cox.net/frankcarter/T...Sub%20Data.htm The SVS in the chart was the very first they came out with. It would definitely be considered a toy by many now. The subs we run today and what SVS has to offer now, has come along ways.

I used to run a couple of ct-150s and found them quit enjoyable. The PB-2 ISD will do everything better I humbly say. If you need to buy now and not save the extra $200 or so to pull it off. The PB2-ISD buy you made was good then. Maybe another option would have been to buy a DLS
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=300-632&DID=7 just to get you by until you were ready.

Come to think of it, since financing was of interest to you, there was more to it than saving another $200 dollars then? I sold my Velos for $375 plus shipping each and they were very easy to sell at that price. So you will have a good resale value and enjoy good bass while you wait it out. It's the lower freq region where the SVS really pulls away with authority. I figure it would take more than a couple ct-150s conservatively to match the output of one SVS 25-31+ in the lower 17-28 hz range.

3. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Steve thanks for the reply. After looking at the link you provided with that chart, I know where I can get 2 brand new still in factory sealed unopened boxes Klipsch KSW300 subs for $300 each. I noticed they seemingly outperformed the Velodyne CHT15. Should I take the Velos back and get the Klipschs instead? Is the KSW300 better than the CHT15?

I didn't notice the Infinity Interlude IL120s, but I did see the IL100s on it.

Thanks in advance.

4. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

The SVS PB2isd is only a little more than your CHTs and will have a much higher resale value if you decide to upgrade.

5. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Graham, I realize that, but does SVS have some kind of interest free payment plan like that though? If they did, it would be a done deal!

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

If it were my decision to make I would possibly stay with the dual Velo's then? They are very close admittedly and either company would back you up as far as the warranty goes. $200 savings would be very nice indeed. I think the Klipsch sub might roll off a little faster though. They both would serve you well until the PB2-ISD or more came into the picture.

What you have to remember about a SVS sub is that it will still be going very strong in the lower freq/hz range where the CHT-Velo or 300-Klipsch will be rolling off big time. It adds a whole different dynamic to the whole HT experience imo and many others.

Good luck Mark and let us know how it works out if you can spare the time.[​IMG]