What's new

Velodyne CHT-15 Settings Questions (1 Viewer)

Hi Guys,

I finally took the plunge and purchased a subwoofer yesterday. I went with the Velodyne CHT-15 as I got a great deal on it from the local stereo shop. I'm running it through an older Pioneer receiver model VSXD606S. I've wondering on some of the receiver settings and I cannot find the manual. My room is around 3500 cubic feet and I am about 10-12 feet from the TV and speakers. Any advice I could get from you guys would be greatly appreciated as Pioneer has been about as helpful as a kick in the head. Here I go:

1) Should I use the the receiver's crossover, the subs or both? If so, where would be a good place to start?

2) I have a few settings on the receiver that I am not sure where to set as I am not very familiar with things:
a) DRC On/Off?
b) Lowcut On/Off?
c) LFE ATT Off/0db/10db?
d) Xover 100/150/200db?

Does anyone know what some of these settings might be or possibly where I should set them at?

3)I have the receivers sub volume set at 3db and the sub volume at 3. Is is beneficial to turn up the sub out to like 5 or 7db rather than turning up the sub gain?

I know I'm getting long here but one last question. I tried to test a CD last night with a good bass track and found that I had to really turn up the gain on the sub to get bass whereas when I as testing the bass with ATOC the bass was more pronounced at lower volumes. Is this normal?

Once again, forgive all the stupid newbie questions and thanks in advance for any advice.

Jason

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
I suggest that you go to the pioneer web site and see if you can find an operations manual for that receiver

Then run a search on this forum for CHT-15.
You will find the setup and operation of this sub has been posted

Thank you Micheal. I have searched Pioneer's site and could not find any info on those settings but between some other pioneer manuals I was able to figure them out. I will do some searching through the forum for some of the other questions.

Thanks,
Jason

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
Jason:

My 2 cents worth of help:

1- Set the Velo's crossover knob at no more than 70 hz. This will enable the sub to start rolling off at 100hz, which is desirable. I have my Velo 8100 at 50 hz. cut-off (rear knob) for best response.

2-DRC -OFF
Lowcut -OFF
LFE ATT- OFF
XOVER - 100hz.
Call Pioneer for these settings, but you want your main speakers full range, assuming they are full range. Otherwise, Lowcut should be ON. You DON'T want LFE attenuated, for sure! DRC, I think is a Dynamic (range) restricting circuitry, and you want it OFF!

3- Set it up so that the Velo vol. control is at 10 - 11 o'clock.
Too much gain from the receiver via the RCA cable to the sub. can overload the sub's amplifier input and sound distorted.

Don't be concerned about AOTC overcooked bass, it was mastered that way! Too much bass!

Hope this helps...

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Jason once you get your receiver figured out let your receiver do the xover at 100Hz. Set your xover switch to in on the back of your sub so you do not double filter. It will be pushing the switch to your left. Set your SW gain on your receiver to the middle value or +1 to +2 above. The gain on the back of your sub should rest at 20% to 40% up the scale. You will find 40% quit high and hot most likely if you have a meter and can calibrate. The CHT-15 will handle AOTC very well. I hit 110db at -13 on the flyby scene with two stacked just idling along. You will have your choice of a audio or video on the back of the sub to. In audio you will need to have gain at the close to the 40% mark in the size HT you speak of most likely. The audio setting will tame and flatten out the response for HT or music. I like them both but I lean to the video setting option. Your taste will be the factor. I would send LFE to your sub for this usually is the most optimum. Your sub most likely can handle the LFE allot better than your speakers and your speakers will still have plenty to handle for this is not a brick wall with the 100Hz xover and the LFE is sent to your sub .

Thanks for all the great info guys. I appreciate it. I followed some of your advice and so far so good. It turns out I may be ditching the Pioneer for a Yamaha as my neighbor wants to buy my receiver. I've had the receiver for 6 years, I figured It's time for an upgrade. I'm really impressed with the CHT-15 so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks