Velodyne CHT-12

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Allen Marshall, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

Sep 26, 2003
    Since you can get this sub for $200 now, im interested in hearing what a group of these can and cant beat for the same price.

Such as this

Two CHT-12 vs SVS PB10

Three CHT-12 vs SVS PC subs

Six CHT-12 vs SVS PB2+

Fifteen CHT-12 vs B4+

In another thread we discussed really quick that 6 of these in a corner, stacked and dialed in would out perform a PB2+ (though i dont exactly remember what was talked about on the low frequency extension on the 6 compared to the PB2+).

My interest is in if the price drop in this subwoofer made it the most cost effective way to get performance people are looking for or not. Without tackling the fact not many people 6 of these things sittin around cough cough frank.

Anyone got anything to say on the subject? What about other subs that you could pile together to get better performance then the single sub rated to be the best for that particular price? If it turns into a frequency response matter then let's just suppose were talking about no further down then 20hz.
  2. Eric Ha

Eric Ha Stunt Coordinator

Sep 27, 2004
    I think it depends on if you are looking for SPL, or extension. My CHT-15 would start rolling off at 30hz, so I'm sure that the 12 would give up sooner. Any SVS will go well below that. My PB2+ is strong easily to 18hz. However, I believe that six CHT-12's would generate more SPL that one PB2+ (above 30hz).

On the other hand, that would be a great negotiating tool with the Mrs.

"Honey, I can either get six of these here subs and place 'em all over the room, or get one big sub. Whaddaya think?"