Velodyne CHT-12 12" Subwoofer VS 10', HELP

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dustin Wind, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Dustin Wind

Dustin Wind Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,
    Today i bought a Velodyne CHT-10 10" Subwoofer. I just want to make sure i made the proper decision.

My friend who works at future shop is storing it there for me until i move into my house in 7 days so i have the option of getting the 12" if i'm not sure about the 10".

I just want to get peoples opinion's if the 10" is good enough or if i should upgrade to the 12"?

Will there be a big difference between the 10 and 12?
    What are the pros and cons? I'm so new to all this i have no idea!

My basement is 19 feet by 14 feet....hope that helps with some imput.

The rest of my system is:
    Pioneer 563A DVD
    Yamaha HTR 5650
    Toshiba 65" WD HX
    JBL speakers.

I really don't know anything about this stuff and would love any input.
    I don't want to make the wrong decision and regret it in a year....wishing i actually bought the 12"

Thanks a ton guys.

2. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

My basement is 19x13 and the 10" Velodyne was too big for the room. I had it on the second notch up for volume and the receiver at -15dB for the sub (also the 5650, same as yours, but that's about to change) and it was still boomy. I posted a thread on this in this same forum.

In regards to your EXACT situation I can't say, simply because the acoustic situation of your room is going to be different than mine, so you won't know for sure until you try out the sub in your basement. What I can say for sure is that the sub looks deceptively small in the store. Once you get it home into a smaller room, the thing looks absolutely massive. But like I said, you won't know until you try.

3. Dustin Wind

Dustin Wind Stunt Coordinator

Alright, i'm going to assume then the 10" is perfect!

4. Rus Bowisc

Rus Bowisc Stunt Coordinator

I had the CHT-10 for about a month and upgraded to the CHT-15. Big difference... and well worth the $120 difference I payed.

My space is 24' x 12' and the CHT-10 performed well. But I'm sure it would have come short once I calibrated it to smooth out any 50Hz peaks in there... assuming I'd want to really crank it up. If you're looking at playing back 25Hz and under, the CHT-10 may fall short, depending on your levels.

Not sure about the 12" but I gather you may get a little more extension on the low-end.

As with every sub, location will have a huge bearing on frequency response. So take your time in finding the most optimum place for your sub.

Rus