Velodyne CHT-10 or the bigger CHT-12?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DarrenB, Apr 22, 2004.

1. DarrenB

DarrenB Extra

I've recently started upgrading my HT and am needing a sub for under $500. The CHT-10 at $229 with free shipping seems like a dang good deal but the CHT-12 for $299 seems equally good. My room is 15 x 30 and is all tile with some area rugs. Any suggestions as to which one to buy would be appreciated.

My current components:

Onkyo TX-NR801
    Klipsh KG 3.5 Mains

Thanks

2. DarrenB

DarrenB Extra

Come on guys I know there is someone with some info on these Velodyne subs....

3. Alex_P

Alex_P Stunt Coordinator

Darren, I auditioned both of those subs... It doesn't seem like it can keep up w/ low freqs... I said go for the Rava from Adire[​IMG] for $400...

Alex,

4. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Darren - they're not bad subs at all, but your satisfaction with them could depend a lot on the room you're in. Smaller room - OK. Anything larger will probably be really pushing it (but that also depends on your criteria).

With up to $500 for a budget you have lots of great options. You could also look at that Adire, and there are a couple of HSU options, too (STF2 and maybe even VTF2). Then there's the Dayton Vance Dickason 10" from Parts Express that's $350 shipped - check that out as an option and still have money for more program material. The list goes on...

Bottom line is probably the same - get the best you can afford now and save yourself some sooner-than-later upgradeitis cost.