What's new

Velocity scan modulation, comb filtering, 3:2 pulldown... (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Do I need 3:2 pulldown in the TV? I thought that a progressive scan DVD player does that for you?

I remember something from a while ago, that VSM can be a bad thing? Someone suggested turning it off, if possible.

And then for comb filtering, "3 line" or "3 D", using the S-video or component input bypasses this right?

(Trying to decide the merits of these on 3 different HDTVs at different price points.)

Thanks!

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
Reverse 3:2 Pulldown is different from progressive scan. A few DVD players do this, but most do not. It's slightly preferable to do the 3:2 Pulldown in the DVD player, but otherwise, in the TV is (usually) better than not at all.

VSM is generally considered a Bad Thing {tm}. It's the equivalent of turning the sharpness up, which is hard on the set and introduces image artifact in the name of producing an illusory picture improvement (i.e., it looks better in the first 10 minutes / hour of viewing, which is when most people make their buying decisions). Careful and critical viewing will show that you actually get more detail with it turned off. Most RPTVs have it, so look for one in which it can be disabled (preferably via the user menus, but at least through the service menu).

You are correct-- the S-vid and component inputs bypass the comb filter.

Me

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
My Pioneer SVM was causing ghosting. I disabled it by actually removing the coils from the guns, but leaving them in plugged into the circuit, so no voltage/amperage imbalances are introduced by having them unplugged.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Tim (and Kevin),
Actually, most progressive players can do 3:2 pulldown nowadays, BUT many of them don't do 3:2 pulldown detection/switching very well for improperly flagged DVDs and/or don't do video-based linedoubling very well. That's what separates players like the Panny CP72/RP82 from many others, including some high-end players.
IF a player can be forced into film mode linedoubling, ie. 3:2 pulldown, then it will probably do it perfectly fine for film-sourced content. But then, you'll need to set it differently for video-sourced content, which include most of the extra feature videos on movie DVDs--and plenty of those actually switch back and forth(!).
It is true that many early generation progressive players did not do 3:2 pulldown at all. Same goes for HDTVs.
_Man_

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
OK, so if 3:2 pulldown is in the TV, then it will have better detection of what the source signal is?
How would I know how to *disable* it in the player, but *enable* it in the TV? (Maybe this is a stupid question; would it just be in each of the manual's, clearly stated?)
And then, comb filtering is for "regular" TV, and I do presume that "3-D" is better than "3 line" ?
Thanks guys...
(You know, it's bothering me a little, but how does Joe Sixpack know all this when he goes into to spend $2g's on "that new fangled thing HDTV that everyone's talking about" ? A buddy of mine is thinking about buying a Samsung HDTV, simply because he got a coupon for it at Costco, so it *must* be a good deal..... For example, it says that it converts all analog signals to digital, and from that I would presume that it does a 480i to 480p conversion on "normal" signals to get better video, but it doesn't specifically state that, so I'm probably presuming wrong...)
Yeah, I remember when I calibrated my TV for the 1st time, and the calibration "forced" the sharpness all the way to the bottom of the scale. But the picture was better! But most people would think that *more* is better. Gosh! :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
TV's don't do 3:2 pulldown any better than players from what I can tell. Theoretically, players should be able to do better just because they don't need to digitize an analog feed before doing the deinterlacing. It's a cleaner process, if the player does it right.
If you really want the TV to do it instead, you should be able to disable 480p output from the player.
As for J6P, well, that's always gonna be the case when it comes to technologies in general, not just TVs or DVD players. If they're any smart at all, they'd at least ask a friend who knows better. :D
_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks