What's new

Velo CHT8? ... need cheap subwoofer for secondary system ... (1 Viewer)

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
I had a Athena's 10" sub on order at Amazon, but it got moved out until Jan 2005 delivery, so I cancelled. Looking at spending around 175 or less. I was thinking the Velo CHT8 for $160 shipped. Anyone use this? Would it compare to the Dayton? I have owned the Dayton, but I just hate the big port on the front. Any thoughts, opinions or suggestions are certainly welcome. thanks

Jason

lloydMon

Grip
I got the CHT-8 as part of a package deal with some Athena Point 5's from Onecall. I was amazed that it sounded far better than a Klipsch sub I bought several years ago for way more $$$ (cant remember the model #). The only thing that gripes me is I could have upgraded to the CHT-10 for another $35-$40, but I didn't know about it at the time. For the money, tho, it can't be beat.

You might price it @ Onecall...I think I paid about $140.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
Cool ... I went ahead and placed an order for the CHT8. $160 shipped to my door seems like a fair deal. Wish I could have gotten the Athena I had on order (backordered until Jan. so I canceled), but I'm sure this will work in my secondary system just fine. Don't need anything that's going to shake everything off the walls. I hope the performance is similar to the Dayton. If the Dayton looked like the original one without the big ugly port in it, I would have probably have gotten it. Thanks for the advice.

Jason

Max F

Second Unit
I doubt it will get anywhere near 25hz like the Dayton, especially since its a 8 inch sub. I'm not sure how the CHT8 sounds.

Honestly, i don't think you can build a better sub for what you pay for the Dayton 10 inch - unless you've got spare parts hanging around.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I think the CHT8 is the one Circuit just recently stopped selling.

When my local store still had their full surround system set up (H/K AVR630, Pioneer 563A & Polk Audio--I sort of informally helped to keep its operating parameters correctly set while unemployed) I listened to that sub and the competing Infinity. Neither had rumbly/subsonic bass in that room (corner placement) but did provide the rest of the bass that most non-hip-hop/techno music contained. Basically, each sounded like a pair of floorstanders with either dual 6.5 inchers or a good single 8" was playing.........but both were small enough to almost completely disappear from view.

The Velodyne had a little bit more punch than the Infinity had, but lacked some of the Infinity's definition. These differences were slight though. And I thought the Velodyne was built better: it felt heavier and its heat sink fins were 1) almost twice as large 2) the fins had their edges rounded & smoothed-off where the Infinity's had rather sharp & potentially painful (or damaging to cords) edges. On a decor note, I did think the Infinity's rectangular styling was easier on the eye than the Velodyne's squat, matte-black finished cube.

I think such subs would be good for people living in dorms or apartments, or people that just want a layer of deeper bass for their music system for smaller rooms.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks