Velo CHT8? ... need cheap subwoofer for secondary system ...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jason Hammerly, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

I had a Athena's 10" sub on order at Amazon, but it got moved out until Jan 2005 delivery, so I cancelled. Looking at spending around 175 or less. I was thinking the Velo CHT8 for $160 shipped. Anyone use this? Would it compare to the Dayton? I have owned the Dayton, but I just hate the big port on the front. Any thoughts, opinions or suggestions are certainly welcome. thanks

Jason

2. lloydMon

lloydMon Extra

I got the CHT-8 as part of a package deal with some Athena Point 5's from Onecall. I was amazed that it sounded far better than a Klipsch sub I bought several years ago for way more $$$ (cant remember the model #). The only thing that gripes me is I could have upgraded to the CHT-10 for another $35-$40, but I didn't know about it at the time. For the money, tho, it can't be beat.

You might price it @ Onecall...I think I paid about $140.

3. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

Cool ... I went ahead and placed an order for the CHT8. $160 shipped to my door seems like a fair deal. Wish I could have gotten the Athena I had on order (backordered until Jan. so I canceled), but I'm sure this will work in my secondary system just fine. Don't need anything that's going to shake everything off the walls. I hope the performance is similar to the Dayton. If the Dayton looked like the original one without the big ugly port in it, I would have probably have gotten it. Thanks for the advice.

Jason

4. Max F

Max F Second Unit

I doubt it will get anywhere near 25hz like the Dayton, especially since its a 8 inch sub. I'm not sure how the CHT8 sounds.

Honestly, i don't think you can build a better sub for what you pay for the Dayton 10 inch - unless you've got spare parts hanging around.

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I think the CHT8 is the one Circuit just recently stopped selling.

When my local store still had their full surround system set up (H/K AVR630, Pioneer 563A & Polk Audio--I sort of informally helped to keep its operating parameters correctly set while unemployed) I listened to that sub and the competing Infinity. Neither had rumbly/subsonic bass in that room (corner placement) but did provide the rest of the bass that most non-hip-hop/techno music contained. Basically, each sounded like a pair of floorstanders with either dual 6.5 inchers or a good single 8" was playing.........but both were small enough to almost completely disappear from view.

The Velodyne had a little bit more punch than the Infinity had, but lacked some of the Infinity's definition. These differences were slight though. And I thought the Velodyne was built better: it felt heavier and its heat sink fins were 1) almost twice as large 2) the fins had their edges rounded & smoothed-off where the Infinity's had rather sharp & potentially painful (or damaging to cords) edges. On a decor note, I did think the Infinity's rectangular styling was easier on the eye than the Velodyne's squat, matte-black finished cube.

I think such subs would be good for people living in dorms or apartments, or people that just want a layer of deeper bass for their music system for smaller rooms.