Velo CHT-10 -vs- JBL PB12?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Pine, Jun 14, 2002.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    I'm looking for a sub that sounds best for music(CD's, concert DVD's, etc...) The content I listen to is about a 80/20 ratio(music/movies). I listen to all types of music from classical to rock and everything in between except country. My current setup is mains/large, center/small & rears/small. My receiver has a FIXED low cutoff of 90MHz. I have no sub in my setup now. Even with the sub I probably will still run my L40's in the large setting, but you never know. According to AVIA my JBL L40's(10")start dropping off dramatically at approx 45Hz. I'm looking for a budget unit to supplement the low end. Maximum budget is $400. Here's the details on my setup. Thanks!

My budget system: Yamaha RX-V530, X-Box(DVD/CD), JBL L40's(mains) Boston Acoustics 424v(cen) JBL N24II's(rears)

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I'd just have to say how suprised I am that your JBL L40s are capable of a cutoff at ultrasonic levels. JK

$400, I'd say look at the new model JBL Studio S120Pii and Adire Rava.

If you want a musical subwoofer for the best bang per buck, then consider building your own from a $150 tempest driver, and $140 250watt plate amp.

But I prefer the JBL studio sub over the PB series and any other commercial sub in that price range.

3. Jimmy Michigan

Jimmy Michigan Auditioning

Personally, I'd spend just a little more and get the HSU VTF-2.

4. John Pine

John Pine
    Chris: At 38Hz they do roll-off badly, they are audible but not really usable at that frequency. With a C-weighted(slow)setup, 45MHz is more accurate. The reason I mentioned these two subs is because I can get either for $299 shipped.

5. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

John I think you mean 38 hz (the "M" means millon, you are saying 38,000,000 hz is the roll-off point, that's why he had the "JK" for just kidding). Though I haven't heard the Rava in person, I am using the driver (an Adire Shiva) in two of subs I own and is an excellent woofer so it should most likely be a great sub in it's price category (it also has variable phase, sealed, and decent power should make it quite musical and easy to blend). In this instance I second Chris's suggestion as well.

6. John Pine

John Pine
    Robert: D0OH!! I didn't catch that!

Chris: Good one, you got me!

Good feedback, thanks guys! I am heading over the DIY forum and see what's involved in building one myself. I never even considered it, I thought the components would be much higher than $300-400.