What's new

Velcro on speaker stands (1 Viewer)

JeffreyS

Auditioning
My bookshelf speaker stands came with little Velcro dots that would help keep the speakers from being knocked off. If I install these dots, what, if any, effect would it have on the sound?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
None.

I currently ise velcro to secure my speakers to their stands. The velcro does 2 things... first, it secures the speaker so it does not slide off the stand. Secondly, it acts like an "insulator" so the speaker is isolated from the stand otherwise vibrations could ensue.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Just thought I would tell you I used 2 sided tape to secure my last speakers to the stands. I was always worried that someone would knock them off. Even with the 2 sided tape I worried. I shouldn't when it was time for them to come off I couldn't pull them off. I had to pry them off. No damage was done luckily. That stufff really holds.

Rick CH

Agent
Just a tip if anyone uses two sided tape and wants to remove it: you'll want to use a solvent used in installing grips on golf clubs. One particular brand, made by Brampton, is non-toxic, has little smell and would be safest to use. In the case of a speaker held down by double sided tape, I'd use a butter knife or something similar to pry the tape a tiny bit and squirt some of the solvent at it. Wait a few seconds and you'll probably notice the tape loses its stickiness. Keep prying and squirting the solvent.

Rick CH

Agent
Probably, though you can also mail order it. Two companies I use are Golfsmith and Golfworks. Some retailers may carry it but you'd be more likely to find it at a component supply store (they'll sell clubheads, shafts, grips, etc).

If there's a "non-golf" equivalent of this solvent, I don't know what it'd be.

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator
naphtha aka zippo fluid can be used also, which you can get practically anywhere. just make sure not to have a flame near... that could be bad.

JustinDR

Agent
Instead of using two sided tape or velcro, another option is blu-tak or a similar product. It's probably more secure than velcro (your speakers won't budge), and easier to remove from speaker and stand than two sided tape (it peels off nicely).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll second blu-tak/equivalent. Works great, no residue. You should be able to find something similar in most hardware stores.

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
I third the blu-tak. you can get it at staples or office max also... I use it and it takes a few minutes of gently working my speaker back and forth until if finally lets go. Its good stuff. Your speakers won't go anywhere.

Staples Reusable adhesive

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I'll 4TH blutak..that shit rocks! I use it on all my speakers...and have actually hid one of my runs of speaker wire under the fireplace brick...it held perfectly!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Blue tak. The audiophile duct tape! I can't see velcro being as good a mount. Double sided tape might suffice, but i think blu tak is best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks