1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

VEI Disc Problems?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Cowboy, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Cowboy

Cowboy Stunt Coordinator

Robert
    Bought from VEI direct Mod Squad and McMillan &
    Wife complete.Season 2 episode from McMillan&
    Wife "Night of the Wizard" freezes in 3 places.
    This is the first problem I ever had with hundreds
    of dvds.

Update- I just looked at the disc,it had glue on it,once
    removed,the disc plays normal.

Jeff Flugel and Darby67 like this.
  2. Rob Mac

Rob Mac Stunt Coordinator

Rob
    Watched Mod Squad seasons 3, 4 and one disc into season 5. No glue so far.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  3. swan4022

swan4022 Stunt Coordinator

Ron
    I have run into freezing, stuttering problems with Mod Squad Season 3 discs 1 and 2 (haven't tried the discs beyond that yet), and have contacted VEI/Amazon about the issue. (Didn't see any glue on the discs.)

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  4. Cowboy

Cowboy Stunt Coordinator

Robert
    A few years ago I bought the Vei Mod Squad sets of seasons 3,4,5.They were returned due to disc
    freezings.Just got the 20 disc complete Mod Squad.Have had different discs freeze from 3,4,5
    seasons.Returned set.I guess I will just watch the first 2 seasons from Cbs.I watched the whole
    Petrocelli set,they had no problems at all.

Jeff Flugel, Darby67 and bmasters9 like this.
  5. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I have the VEI Mod Squad Complete series set . I'm only on season 2 . I guess defective discs for seasons 3- 4 - and 5 is something I have to look forward to.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  6. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug
    Petrocelli
    The Magician
    Longstreet
    The Immortal
    Special Unit 2

Maybe I am lucky. Other than too many episodes on each disc, all have played fine. I'm thankful for that.

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  7. Message #7 of 17 Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    bmasters9

bmasters9 Cinematographer

Ben Masters
    I saw the whole of it through myself. However, there is a problem with the fourth disc on my copy (Disc 4 of the first half of the series [1974-75]): there are scratches that I did not notice until much later. I discovered that you can tell VEI about it and ask for a replacement, but I'm afraid to, being as I did not notice the scratches until much later.

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  8. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    I've purchased quite a few things from VEI over the years and have only had two issues, but they have left me under-impressed with VEI's customer service. When I bought the Equalizer from them I became aware of the reversing of the episodes Mystery of Manon parts 1 and 2 in season 3. About a month after I received the complete series I emailed to ask if they would send me replacement discs so I would have those two episodes in the correct order. They asked for an order number, which of course I hadn't saved anywhere, and were unwilling (I can't believe unable) to look up the order by my name, so I never got the replacements. Oh well, I made a mental note and was able to watch the episodes in the correct order despite the inconvenience.

Fast forward to this November when I ordered Longstreet from them. The first disc wouldn't load, even after trying on three different machines. They asked me to mail them the defective disc so they could trouble shoot and they would in turn send a replacement. A month later I emailed to ask if they had sent the replacement yet and they sent me the tracking from the original order to prove that I had received it. I have not heard from them since, and finally just purchased another set of Longstreet from Amazon because I really wanted to watch the series. I wrote a very polite letter to VEI expressing my disappointments, primarily to encourage them that they need to consider beefing up their customer service end of their business model. A month after that letter was sent I have heard nothing.

I will continue to purchase stuff from VEI. If they keep releasing shows I really want, like Equalizer, McMillan and Wife, Cannon, Magician and Longstreet then they will get my business. But from now on I will wait and order from Amazon because I have much greater hopes of getting a humane response from the Big River - who'd a thunk it?

9. bmasters9

Ben Masters
    I'm afraid I might run into the same problem when asking for a replacement fourth disc from the first season on Petrocelli (because I did not purchase from VEI, but rather from Amazon).

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  10. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

I'm on the other side of the fence here. I've found VEI's customer service exemplary, shipping replacement disks to solve every problem I've had with them. They and Warner Archive have been excellent that way.

Jeff Flugel, bmasters9 and Flashgear like this.
  11. bmasters9

Ben Masters
    Being as you've had no problems with them, I might actually contact them and try to request a replacement fourth disc of the first season of Petrocelli. What I'm wondering is, will they honor that request even though I did not get Petrocelli direct through them, but rather from Amazon?

Jeff Flugel and Darby67 like this.
  12. Cowboy

Cowboy Stunt Coordinator

Robert
    Just ordered the condensed Barnaby Jones release.Since it is from Vei,I have to fast forward
    every episode to check for freezing.If there are no problems I will order The Magician,Longstreet
    and Cannon.I already have the 3 on homemade discs but would prefer pressed dvds.

Darby67, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  13. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Second Unit

Jeff Flugel
    Thanks for the warnings about certain VEI discs, fellas. Petrocelli is the first set I've ordered from them...will be sure to give the discs a good looking over once I receive them. I plan on ordering other sets from them, including The Magician, Longstreet and The Immortal in the coming months, so glad to hear positive reports about those (so far).

Darby67, Flashgear and Doug Wallen like this.
  14. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Second Unit

Jeff Flugel
    I'm sorry to hear about your negative VEI customer service experiences. I've not ordered from them directly, so can't report one way or the other. But I can say that I've had nothing but good customer service from Amazon myself. Out of hundreds of DVDs and Blu-Rays I've ordered from them, I've only had a few problem discs, and Amazon always handled returns and exchanges promptly. And most of the issues were not theirs in the first place, but came from Marketplace sellers.

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  15. tlc38tlc38

tlc38tlc38 Stunt Coordinator

Trent
    I own these VEI sets and have had no problems...yet:

Gimme a Break!
    Kate & Allie
    Cagney & Lacey
    Canon
    Grace Under Fire
    Sister, Sister

Darby67, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  16. Message #16 of 17 Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    My Grace Under Fire discs do some major "thrashing" at times but play without issues.

I had zero problems with Petrocelli, In Search of..., On the Buses, Only When I Laugh, or That's My Boy!

I've not yet played my Kate & Allie or McMillan & Wife or Snoop Sisters sets.

Flashgear, Darby67 and Jeff Flugel like this.
  17. bmasters9

Ben Masters
    I thought I'd tell you that I put in for a replacement fourth disc of the first season of Petrocelli a time back (I told VEI about the scratches and all); they said they'd send one and that it would take 10-15 days to get here from Canada, but it's probably been at least that long, and there's been no sign of that replacement. (Of course, I forget the exact date when I put in for it.)