What's new

VEI announces second wave of CBS series releases (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Some good possibilities there. It was a forgotten program, but I would pick up Foul Play. I thought the stars on the program had good chemistry. Would also pick up the 1971 tv movie Escape.

Would the Quinn Martin version of Manhunter be included? It was mentioned that the original masters were lost, but I'd still like to see it.

James

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Here's what Paramount titles I see VEI doing in the future:
TV SHOWS

Funny Face (1971-1972)
Me and the Chimp (1972)
Paper Moon (TV series) (1974-1975)
Serpico (TV series) (1976-1977)
Blansky's Beauties (1977)
Who's Watching the Kids? (1978-1979)
The Bad News Bears (TV series) (1979-1980)
The Associates (1979-1980)
Goodtime Girls (1980)
Foul Play (1981)
The Renegades (1983)
Bronx Zoo (1987-1988)
Dear John (1988-1992)

~Ben

The above shows I know have existing tape remasters and could be considered. Most if not all of the other shows you mention do not. I don't know about the movies.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I haven't seen it since its original airing, but my recollection of The Magician was that it started off terrific and then started to get very repetitive. If my remembrance is right, it could be a tough slog to go through the entire series in a binge.

Which is why if I get that all-in-one of The Magician, it will not be binged; it will be savored, one episode at a time.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I just hope someone besides VEI picks up "Bonanza"...
Tape transfers do exist for the "lost" episodes. Some cable channel affiliated with Fox was showing them a little while back. Picture quality was really good and the running time was in the 48 minutes and some change range, so if anything was cut, it wasn't very much at all.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I just hope someone besides VEI picks up "Bonanza"...

I was thinking that maybe Time Life should start examine finishing properties like Beverly Hillbillies, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, etc in one big boxed set. TL must be close to exhausting the variety show genre.

James

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
I was thinking that maybe Time Life should start examine finishing properties like Beverly Hillbillies, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, etc in one big boxed set. TL must be close to exhausting the variety show genre.

James
Not to sound cute, but that's a horrendous idea. Time Life is pretty expensive, and if you start talking shows with 9, 14, and 20 seasons respectively, it's going to be astronomical. Time Life would piecemeal it out with themes like Columbia House did on VHS back in the 90's, at least that would be my fear.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Tape transfers do exist for the "lost" episodes. Some cable channel affiliated with Fox was showing them a little while back. Picture quality was really good and the running time was in the 48 minutes and some change range, so if anything was cut, it wasn't very much at all.

The problem with the "Lost Episodes" package is that not all seasons are complete. Not sure why? I recorded them off Encore Western a few years back. I seem to recall season 7 and the last season were complete, but a variety of episodes were not included within the middle seasons. I think one of the seasons barley had half the episodes included. Not sure what this means about the availability of the missing episodes.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
The problem with the "Lost Episodes" package is that not all seasons are complete. Not sure why? I recorded them off Encore Western a few years back. I seem to recall season 7 and the last season were complete, but a variety of episodes were not included within the middle seasons. I think one of the seasons barley had half the episodes included. Not sure what this means about the availability of the missing episodes.
Ya know, you're right. I have, I believe, S10-14 and they're complete with the exception of a few episodes. I do remember the Syndication Bible saying some episodes weren't available, so I would guess no tape transfers on those. Hmm...

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Ya know, you're right. I have, I believe, S10-14 and they're complete with the exception of a few episodes. I do remember the Syndication Bible saying some episodes weren't available, so I would guess no tape transfers on those. Hmm...

A few years back I got tired of waiting and went ahead and purchased the German releases for seasons 9 through 14 in case they are never released by CBS in R1. I'd gladly replace any with remastered R1 releases, but I'm good either way.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Would the Quinn Martin version of Manhunter be included? It was mentioned that the original masters were lost, but I'd still like to see it.

James

Where do you get that the masters are lost? It never ceases to amaze me the amount of misinformation that people post. No masters are lost. Shows that have not run anywhere in the last 30 or so years, were never transferred to a videotape format, unless the studio decided to do so, like MGM or Turner did when they transferred their full holdings to one-inch tape. The Manhunter 35mm prints and negatives are safely tucked away in the CBS vaults as are all of their other filmed series holdings.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

Yes, I know. I recorded every one of them!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

Every episode of Bonanza is available for broadcast. They are in either of the 2 packages, the traditional one or the "lost" one. Not all of the seasons are fully in the lost package because those that are not are in the other package.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yes, I know. I recorded every one of them!
I recorded most of them before my DVR went kapoot. I have S10-14 saved on my computer and S13 on a flash drive hooked in my blu ray player. S13 was one of my favorite seasons of the "lost" episodes. Of course, it does help that Buddy Ebsen guest starred that season.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Every episode of Bonanza is available for broadcast. They are in either of the 2 packages, the traditional one or the "lost" one. Not all of the seasons are fully in the lost package because those that are not are in the other package.

Maybe so, but that wasn't my experience when I recorded them off Encore Western a few years back, and it isn't how the Lost Episodes are referenced within the CBS Syndication Bible. According to CBS the Lost Episodes start with S6E30 and go through the end, but only contain 171 episodes out of the possible 234 episodes during that period. My recordings at that time matched exactly with what is listed by CBS.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I hope you are excited now that The Immortal will be available to purchase November 9! Longstreet isn't too far behind now, either!

Having said this... what Paramount Television shows are you hoping VEI will work on that have not been mentioned in the original 2015 announcement? My picks are:
1. Barefoot in the Park (TV series) (1970)
2. Funny Face (1971-72) / The Sandy Duncan Show (1972-73)
3. Me and the Chimp (1972)
4. Love Story (TV series) (1973-74)
5. Paper Moon (TV series) (1974-75)
6. Archer (1975 TV series), also includes the TV movie pilot Underground Man (1974)
7. Serpico (TV series) (1976-77)
8. Blansky's Beauties (1977)
9. Who's Watching the Kids? (1978-79)
10. Out of the Blue (1979)
11. Working Stiffs (1979)
12. The Associates (1979-80)
13. Goodtime Girls (1980)
14. Here's Boomer (1980-82), also includes the TV movie pilot A Christmas for Boomer (1979)
15. The Powers of Matthew Star (1982-83)
16. Madame's Place (1982-83)
17. The Renegades (1983), also includes the 1982 TV movie pilot of the same name
18. Ryan's Four (1983)
19. Brothers (1984-89)
20. Duet (1987-89) / Open House (1989-90)
21. Bronx Zoo (1987-88)
22. Dear John (1988-92)

My top 10 standalone TV movie picks from Paramount Television for VEI:
1. Dr. Cook's Garden (1971)
2. Terror in the Sky (1971)
3. Night of Terror (1972)
4. Poor Devil (1973)
5. Call to Danger (1973)
6. Red Alert (1977)
7. True Grit: A Further Adventure (1978)
8. America 2100 (1979)
9. The Girl, the Gold Watch and Everything (1980)
10. Shooter (1988)

~Ben

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks