VE Calibration vs Amp pink noise

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Ma, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Is it recommended to calibrate through video essentials over the A/V Receivers own pink noise system check?
    My amp has a 5.1 channel pink noise test built in and I come up with different levels with that than with VE. (The surrounds are lower in VE)
    ------------------
    Goto www.erols.com/rmahle to see my theater

2. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Use the VE signals. Then you are testing the output after it has gone thru the DVD output, past the optical or coax connection to the receiver, thru the receiver's digital converter, etc., etc. This provides a more accurate signal test than just using a signal generated by your receiver.
    Most people probably do find( I know I did) that there are differences between the VE signal levels and the receivers. After all the signal goes through to get to the speakers, it should be!

3. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Also, internal test tones don't take into account that the surrounds are SUPPOSED to be 2db lower than the mains (by Dolby's specs) or the 10db bump that is automatically applied to the LFE channel for both Dolby Digital and DTS. VE and AVIA both have the surround test tones at the proper level so that you don't have to manually adjust for this.
    I would guess that your receiver's tones are +2db on the surrounds and -10db from reference on the subwoofer tone (if your receiver has an LFE tone -- some don't). I know this is what my Onkyo does.

4. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Thanks for the information. I suspected that to be right.
    Yes, the surrounds are +2db, not sure about the LFE but I remember it was closer than 10db. Although I find it very hard to measure sub freq. with the meter.
    ------------------

5. Curtis_Edwards

Curtis_Edwards Stunt Coordinator

So does that mean you calibrate your subwoofer to 75db as well? That way when the LFE comes in it will be at 85db. Am I off?

6. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

The +10db bump for the sub has already been done when you're doing the test tones, and the makers of both discs have encoded the tones accordingly. If you're calibrating your speakers to 75db, you calibrate the sub to the same level with those discs.
    But with internal tones, a lot of times the +10db bump is not applied because it's a seperate noise generator and not coming from a digital input. So if you're using the internal tones, you probably want to calibrate the speakers to 75db and the sub to 85db. The calibration discs take all of this guesswork out, so just don't bother with internal test tones.

7. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

I don't know what it is but when I calibrate with VE, it definatley sets the surrounds too loud.
    Here is my calibration numbers with the amps pink noise
    LEFT 0
    CENTER +1
    RIGHT 0
    RSur +1
    LSur +1
    Sub -3
    Now here it is with the VE calibration from the same location
    LEFT 0
    CENTER +2
    RIGHT 0
    RSur +3
    LSur +3
    Sub -5
    There is no dought in my mind that the rears are too loud at +3. They are distracting from the fronts at that level. I use Twister and Godzilla as a test after calibration. I have watched the same scenes about a zillion times! They sound better with the surrounds at +1
    All the experts love video essentials. Am I doing something wrong because I feel like its calibrated better from my receivers internal pink noises.
    Can anyone shed some light on this?
    ------------------