VCRs with S-Video out

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Barry.Evans, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Barry.Evans

Barry.Evans Agent

What is the most inexpensive VCR available that will push out s-video for regular VHS Tapes? My current VCR doesn't have stereo out and only does RCA/Composite out yet my AV receiver and TV are much happier keeping everything S-Video.

-bp

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

You will need a Super VHS player. I bought one of the better models last year from Crutchfield on clearance for about $200. I doubt you'll get a S-VHS vcr for less than $150, but I could be wrong. Check out sites like onecall.com, crutchfield.com, and jandr.com for specific prices.

3. Barry.Evans

Barry.Evans Agent

Will a standard VHS tape still play on a Super VHS player and if so, will it still feed through the s-video plug?

Some S-VHS players on jandr.com don't show or say they have S-Video. Need to check the mfgr page to be sure i guess?

-bp

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

If you just want to convert your VHS VCR to output S-Video signals to hook it up to your S-Video Input on your Receiver so everything will go to the TV by S-Video I would just buy RCA Composite to S-VIdeo Adapters. Parts Express has them for $5.25 each & Radio Shack also has them but for around $20 each. That's a lot cheaper than buying a new VCR just to convert the signals.

www.partsexpress.com part numbers are 180-140 & 180-141

5. Barry.Evans

Barry.Evans Agent

Thanks Bill, but my current VCRs only have mono-audio out as well. So I don't mind dropping $100 or so to fix both these nuisances.

Looking around I see the JVC HR-S3901U for $130, for $100 the JVC HR-S2901U is available but I think the jog function & manual tracking would be worth the $30. They appear to have s-video out connections.

-bp

6. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Berry- The 3901 also has S-video in, which the 2901 only has S -Video out. For the extra few bucks the 3901 appears to be a much better deal. If you someday decide to add another S-video player, you can use the 3901 as a slave.

7. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Barry if it's not HI-Fi Stereo your right jump on a new vcr.Just don't expect any great picture quality out of these cheap S-VHS VCR's. Also if I remember right the 2901 does not have "REAR" A/V Inputs only "FRONT" A/V Inputs. Myself if I was going to buy a S-VHS VCR I would get a "Refurbished" JVC 7800 for around $260 This S-VHS VCR has excellent picture quality & a lot better build quality than the new JVC's. Check www.crazyg.com for refurbished VCR's.

8. ScottSchrader

ScottSchrader Auditioning

Barry, you can play a VHS on a S-VHS player, but if the tape was a blank with something on it, like a movie taped off TV, it has to be in SP mode, The S-VHS wont play a EP recorded tape. You can play a S-VHS on a VHS player but the quality would be so bad that you wouldnt want to watch it. Hope this helps.

Scott

9. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

There is one JVC model to stay away from, it does not have an S-video input to let you record from an S-video source.

A good S-VHS VCR should also play EP and LP speed tapes without any problem.

If you want to share recorded tapes with others who only have regulsr VHS VCR's, you must record in regular VHS mode, any speed will do. All S-VHS VCR's give you that choice.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

10. ScottSchrader

ScottSchrader Auditioning

Allan, What S-VHS will play a tape recorded in EP? I produce a cable access show and the 4 S-VHS players they have a the studio will not play one unless its recorded in SP mode. Maybe because they are the professional ones?

Scott

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Scott, you correctly answered your own question. Consumer S-VHS units all do SP and EP speeds. So will my "pro-sumer" Panasonic AG-1980. Allan, it's the 2901 that's so cheesy. The 3901 is a plain jane VCR but has all the connections.

Barry, you should strongly consider buying the 5901 model or one of the nicer models from the 7xxx or 9xxx series even if you go refurb'ed. I got my 9800 refurb'ed. Do a search of this forum using S-VHS VCR as the term. You'll fid bunches of threads that are recent enough to be helpful. Best wishes!

12. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Just about anything professional having to do with VHS and you'll be dealing with SP only (which is what it should be imo).

And just fyi (or for people lurking who aren't aware) Only your S-VHS recordings will se a benefit from using the S-Video out, since VHS is recorded in the composite domain. In fact the comb filter in an S-VHS player may be worse than what's in a decent TV. Try some A/B comparisons and tell us what you find.

13. Allan Jayne

Scott: I disagree, regular VHS is also recorded in the S-video domain, so tape playback via S-video is at least a smidgen better. (The exact subcarrier frequencies are different).

I have a JVC 3911U and it has a decent comb filter. Have had no problems recording and playing in EP speed. Did only regular VHS recording on the S' machine so far, Haven't tried real S-VHS. Have had occasional difficulty playing EP speed tapes made on another VCR, never thought about EP speed problems, only tracking irregularities just from having been recorded on a different VCR. Will have to try some homemade SP tapes also soon, now that someone mentioned it here.

14. Barry.Evans

Barry.Evans Agent

Racheal,

I don't have any SVHS tapes and might have recorded all of an hours worth of stuff in the last 4 years. I do have a ton of regular VHS screener tapes as a family member owns a video rental store.

Would you still recommend something higher than the JVC 3901? Why do you push the 5901? The only advantage I see is the flying erase head which doesn't mean much for someone not looking to edit, right?

Thanks, Barry

15. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Out of curiosity, besides the refurbs mentioned by Rachael, does anybody besides JVC and Panasonic make S-VHS players anymore?

16. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Barry, Rachel knows her stuff when it comes to S-VHS & if you want a "Quality" S-VHS VCR at a reasonable price as I said above go with a refurbished JVC S7800 the build quality alone is worth the extra money.

17. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Barry, you should see slightly better quality when you go up their line 3xxx, 5xxx, 7xxx, and 9xxx. The 5901 is proably better in some small ways besides the flying erase head...? The big jump in quality is if you can get your hands on a 7xxx or 9xxx player with digital TBC (time-base-correction). TBC will help your playback VHS or S-VHS. Of course, you'll be forced to take those pesky flying erase heads with those models too.[​IMG]

Mitsu stille is selling two S-VHS machines. Neither have flying erase heads. The HS-U778 has a cool feature. It has S-Video (cable) pass-through. You put it between your cable or satelite box and display. When you're not recording, your signal passes through. That would be a great feature for DVD or other video recorders to offer given most peoples set-ups. I think JVC and Mitsu are all that's left. One might find a few Pansonic and maybe a few Phillips or Toshiba units someplace...?
    Scott, I've never had an S-VHS deck that looked better using the composite output and I've had quite a few. Best wishes! [​IMG]

18. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

19. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Wow news to me guys thanks. Kinda makes me wonder now why manufacturers never made a VHS VCR with an S-video output. Could it be that you can't tell the difference?

20. Allan Jayne

>>> never made a VHS VCR with an S-video output

When VCR's were first introduced, the S-video jack was unheard of in consumer video. It was the S-VHS VCR that first popularized the S-video jack and cabling, which is why some folks call that jack an S-VHS jack.

The luminance as recorded on regular VHS tape has suffered so much bandwidth loss that almost no more resolution loss occurs when the VCR luminance and chrominance are combined into composite video and then re-separated in the TV. But there is still a slight degradation compared with availability and use of a S-video connection, just because more circuitry is in the video signal path.