VCR's that won't play some tapes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Crosley, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Bob Crosley

Bob Crosley Auditioning

Jun 16, 1999
    My 16 year old Magnavox (built by Panasonic) VCR just died. Man, does nothing last anymore? [​IMG]
    Bought two VCRs based on reviews, a JVC and a Sony. Neither of them will play many of our newer kids tapes. You put the tape in, the VCR tries to mount it, the tape light blinks and it spits the tape out. These same tapes would play fine on the Magnavox.
    Did the tape manufacturers suddenly switch to cheaper tapes or something? Has anyone else faced and overcome the same problem?
    We only use the VCR for kids stuff that's not on DVD, so I just need something that will play any tape I put in it!
    I'd appreciate any help you can give.
  2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Aug 26, 2000
    I have seen a VCR spit a write-protected tape out when it was set to record. (Don't remember the details.)
  3. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

May 8, 2000
    Most VCRs, after rewinding a tape, will then roll forward a few inches. Some older VCRs (like your dead Magnavox) may not.

Many VCRs will "hang" on a tape that is too tightly wound.

Try this:

Turn the video tape upside down, cartridge door facing away from you. Between the hubs, but toward the spine of the tape is a small hole about the size of a pencil eraser. Insert a pencil or other object into the hole to deflect the tab inside (this unlocks the hub). While keeping the object in the hole, turn the takeup hub (on the left) counter-clockwise one or two full revolutions. Remove pencil from hole.

See if the tape works...