What's new

VCR's keep going on fritz (1 Viewer)

bruce townley

Stunt Coordinator
I seem to replace my VCR's about once every 6 months. they all do the same thing--play fine until one day they will play NOTHING. I get a great deal of snow/static across the picture, and can barely make out the video. I have regular sound. It is as if the tracking is way out of wack. I have lost count on the number of VCR's I am replacing. Primarily the VCR is playing kid's tapes and rentals. Any suggestions?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Bruce...we need more info.

What brand VCR's are we talking about? The dirt cheap "throw away" kind, or some upper end kind?

Also a lot of those cheap kids show tapes and overused rentals may be gumming up the machine from being used a lot, so you may to find a good liquid tape cleaner and run it through on a regular basis to keeps tapes running smoothly.

Just my .02 cents.

Alfer

bruce townley

Stunt Coordinator
I have tried pany, toshiba, sanyo, and now my sony is gone. Most have been the cheaper (69$) version, but last night I lost my sony ($250) which concerns me.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Renting, and renting kids tapes is fairly high risk...

I agree with Alf, I think your heads are probably getting clogged from playing dirty tapes. Have you tried cleaning the heads before replacing the VCRs?

I do very little renting and have had the same two vcrs for 5 and 8 years. Other than replacing belts on the older one, I've never had a problem.

I have to ask... with kids in the house... are you sure that fingers / foreign objects aren't being inserted into the VCR. One swipe of the head with a finger or other object can damage it. Keeping the VCR out of reach of the little ones may solve your problem...

-Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks