vcr

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by gerald jones, Jan 5, 2003.

1. gerald jones

gerald jones Auditioning

Hi, i just bought a Toshiba 42h82 This is my first home theater ,what vcr would you recommend ,and do vcr-s have component video connections Thanks chef jerry.

2. Jonas

Jonas Auditioning

Well, to my opinion HT is a miniture replication of a movie theater, meaning, you get good sound (i.e. effects), good picture and it costs less in a long run. That's when we start talking about Dolby Digital, DTS and other stuff like that. The TV that you have is equiped with a 3D sound emulating speakers with total of 30W. Even for a low end HT that is not enough and you do not get the surround. If you are thinking about HT and you still need a VCR, I suggest you look at DVD-VHS Combo solution (Samsung or LG) plus A/V receiver and separate 5.1 speaker system.
    VCRs can have a range of connections, S-VHS, component, etc. It does not really much matter, you should be able to hook up any VCR to your TV using one of the few connections, otherwise it does not make sense to buy one[​IMG]
    Jonas

3. Troy_j

Troy_j Agent

VCR v. DVD, VCR is a lower resolution format and I'm just warning you that a VCR is just to record "fair" quality no matter what. I have dish network, and dvd, and vcr. Anytime I watch a vcr video I wish it was dish, or dvd.

The only time I use a vcr is to record kids' programs for my wife (she's a teacher). Just my .02

Happy new year!

4. gerald jones

gerald jones Auditioning

Thanks for your help guys .I know what your talking about what i was looking for is the best vsr i can get ,short of the very expensive digital ones. Thanks chef jerry

ps: i have a dvd player

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

S-VHS VCRs will only provide S-video and composite video outputs. Component video outputs are non-existent on VCRs.

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Gerald,

To further Clarify what Patrick wrote, VCRs do not have component connections; only Super-VHS VCRs have S-video connections. Standard VCRs have only composite video connections.

As to what VCR to buy, I’d say it depends on what you intend to do with it. If it’s only to watch old tapes you have archived, or for your kids to watch videos, a standard hi-fi stereo VCR will do fine. It can also be used as a tuner for broadcast or cable TV signals.

If you like to time shift programming, I’d recommend an S-VHS VCR. Since you have a DVD player, you’re already used to high-resolution pictures. An S-VHS machine has twice the resolution of regular VCRs – not quite as good as DVD, but excellent nonetheless.

If you go with an S-VHS machine, there are some pitfalls. Don’t waste your money on the low-end models. Spend at least $250 or so and get a mid-to upper-line model – they offer the best value for the money (a lot of what you pay for in the top-of-the-line models is for features you’ll probably never use).

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt