VCR Won't Record..Connection Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paula Neese, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Paula Neese

Paula Neese Agent

Maybe this should be in the HT basics section, but it is a connection question. I have a Denon 3801 reciever, with DVD, Directv sat, CD player and VCR connected. All runs through the reciever. I THOUGHT I was doing everything according to the manual instructions. Everything works fine, except that my VCR won't record. I can watch a video fine. Usually, I am wanting to record something off the sat tv. This must be a really easy fix, but I can't figure it out so far. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Paula:b

2. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Paula,

Without knowing how everything is connected, I can only offer a suggestion. Since everything is running through the receiver already, make sure you have a connection from the VCR out on the Denon to the AV inputs of the VCR. Everything playing through the receiver (DVD usually excluded) should be then recordable on the VCR. You will probably have to change the INPUT source on the VCR menu to use the AV connections over the RF (ant)in.

Good Luck,
    Bill

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hi Paula,

Bill's suggestion is good, but you will only be able to record the source that you are watching. And the entire system would have to be on anytime you want to record. There are a couple of other methods available if you want to say, record a sat program and watch a DVD at the same time.

In order to record, the VCR has to have an incoming signal. There are two ways to accomplish this.

The first way is to run a cable between the sat receiver’s “Antenna Out” terminal and the VCR’s “Antenna In” terminal. (For best results this should be an RG-6 cable with screw-on “F” connectors on both ends.) The VCR would have to be set to Channel 3 or 4 (depending on the setting of switch that is usually on the back of the VCR) in order to record.

The second method is the better choice. Most sat receivers have two sets of outputs (so-called RCA connections, the red/white/yellow jacks). Since you have one set running to the Denon receiver, that leaves one set vacant, and you can send the second set to the VCR’s line inputs. Then you set the VCR for “Line In,” “Video,” or “Aux,” depending on the manufacturer’s choice of terminology.

This may be something you can do from a button on the remote, or the VCR’s menu. Or, some VCR’s will automatically select the line input when you cycle between the lowest and highest channels. Most VCRs these days have a set of input jacks on the front and the back, so you have to be sure and select the jacks you have the cables plugged in to.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Clay Autery

Clay Autery Stunt Coordinator

Not sure about the 3801 but the AVR-4800 has a couple of options for you...

1st... You can record the current source...
    2nd... You can record a SECOND source IF a couple of things are done... You have to set the REC OUT source to the source you want to record, AND you obviously can't record different channel on the SAT besides the one you are watching... BUT you could say for instance... record an OTA TV channel while watching the SAT IF the OTA and SAT come into the receiver on different inputs... I CAN'T do this with my Dish 6000 since I get both OTA and SAt via the 6000 receiver.... but I CAN hook the OTA through the VCR receiver or the TV receiver....

ONE CRITICAL thing you may have overlooked... The VCR is likely in/out to the receiver via composite or S-VHS cables right?

Keep in mind that MOST Denon receivers including the 4800 CANNOT video switch between the component and composite/SVHS inputs... composite to SVHS is Ok...

ALSO, mine doesn't audio switch between digital and analog/composite audio.... SO... to record from SAT to VCR, I have to connect the 6000 to the 4800 with BOTH Component AND SVHS cables... I can record from the 6000 to the VCR with the 6000 in SD mode (utilizing the SVHS video), but I ALSO have to bring the audio in from the 6000 to the receiver via L/R composite audio interconnects...

NOTE: I have not successfully done this YET as I haven't needed to... but I HAVE demonstrated the concept with audio from the CD to the cassette tape deck and video from the SAT to the VCR... I still need to get the audio squared away...

hope this helps...

5. Paula Neese

Paula Neese Agent

I really appreciate all of your suggestions. I will be trying them out.Thanks for your time.
    Paula[​IMG]