What's new

VCR with Dish...Recording? (1 Viewer)

Ok, please bear with me. I recently started using Satelite and I have yet to be able to figure out how to record with my vcr. To watch tv, I have my tv set to channle four. Right now my coax runs from the dish box to the vcr then to the tv? Even to me that sounds wrong.

Now I was looking at some of the diagrams @ monster and they show how to hook up the TV and the Dish, but there was no vcr in the equation.

Help is apreciated

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
From the way you describe your system, just turn the VCR to channel 4 and record. For better quality, use the composite video and L/R audio connections between your TV, sat receiver and VCR.

-Robert

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The way you have it setup SHOULD work fine.

But you do have several options.

The first, but most expensive, is to call Dish and ask for the upgrade price to the PVR501 receiver. This will let you record directly on the Dish receiver. (My vcr is gathering dust as we speak because of this).

If your TV has SVideo inputs, go buy a SVideo cable and go straight from the Dish receiver to the TV. Now try toggling back and forth between the VCR signal and the SVideo and you should see a visible difference.

Tom Weeks

Stunt Coordinator
Turn on your vcr and activate the programming menu. For channel number put it on 4 to match up with your Dish. Then enter programming times as normal. Then (important), leave your dish receiver set on the channel that you want to record. You can only record on the channel the dish box is set for, thus you will not be able to watch a show on one channel and record another show from a different channel. One more thing, don't mute the dish volume control and forget to take it off mute as you record--you will have no sound (been there and done that). Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks