VCR video output not working through receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Y, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Adam Y

Adam Y Auditioning

I have a Pioneer VSX-D711 with a DVD player, Satellite receiver, and VCR connected. Everything is SVideo. My problem is with the VCR. I have a RCA-to-SVideo adapter inline and I'm not seeing the video but hearing the audio. I switched AV cables, took out the adapter, put the VCR video-out into different video-ins on the receiver and still no luck. I double checked that the video-out on the VCR actually worked by directly connecting it to RCA's on my TV. What should I try next?

Adam

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Just to be clear, I'm not familiar with the Pioneer, but they pretty much work the same with Video Switching. Is it safe to say that the DVD is let say Video one, Satellite in Video 2 and the VCR is in video 3. Is the satellite box running alone with out the vcr or do you have the vcr connected via the extra composite and stereo connections? Are you basing the vcr sound via a tape or from the satellite box?

3. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

4. Adam Y

Adam Y Auditioning

Thanks for the replies. After further configurations and testing, I think I have narrowed it down to a bad adapter because it works fine without it; just using composite in to the receiver than a composite out to a different video input on my TV. I bought the RCA-to-S-Video from PartsExpress for $5.95. Isn't the RadioShack one like $20 something?

Adam

5. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Yes, the RS converter is $20.

Also, (unlike the one from Parts Express that plugs directly into the receiver's S-video input) you'll need an additional S-video cable with the RS converter.

Vin