VCR to VCR noise help.?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Glenn Guerra, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Glenn Guerra

Glenn Guerra Extra

Hello, just joined and am happy to be part of the group. I am somewhat of a fanatic with home theatre, and appreciate hometheatre to the fullest. So much so, that I dont go to the movies anymore.

At anyrate, this is real low tech question, but it's really bugging me that I cant figure it out. I am dubbing tapes from one vcr to another. No reciever invloved, just vcr to vcr and a tv. Thats it. Simple enuff huh? Anyway, (Keep in ind that theses are just vhs tapes of things I recorded from TV)When I tape from one to another, the copy has a high pitched hissing sound that is not on the original tape. It can be heard thru the TV during the dubbing process. I fiugured it was just the TV, but played the time on diff. TV's and had the same hiss not evident on the original. I figured it was the VCR, I exchanged it for the same model, I have the same problem. Then I thought I needed better shielded cables,....nope.....that didn't work either. Same thing. Could it be the cheap ole VCR? I have the VCR's one on top of each other. Could that be it too?

Any help would be appreciated. It just bothers the heck out of me that this simple stupid problem which I should have been able to solve by now, have not been able to. I'm begining to think it's the VCR. To bad I threw away the box.

Thanx

Glenn

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Glenn,

First, welcome to the Forum!

Are both of these VCRs the hi-fi stereo type? If not, that is the problem. Non-hi-fi VCRs record the audio on a narrow strip at the edge of the tape, and the audio is inherently noisy.

If both the VCRs are hi-fi, make sure they are both set to “Hi-fi audio” mode in the menu,.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Glenn Guerra

Glenn Guerra Extra

Thank you for your reply. Yes they are both Hi Fi. Ive tried everything. Im selling this piece of crap and getting a good VCR. Granted I skimped on this VCR cause I thought I was just gonna dub old tapes and that was it. But its not worth the hassle. Suffice it to say its an emerson. And found out it's a Funai company. That says it all.

Thanx bud.

G.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

There could be some supersonic tones that cause interference during the recording process. Try the following:
    Move the two VCR's apart from each other and from the TV, in case the radiation is through the air.
    Switch the roles, that is use the VCR you first used for recording to play the original tape and the one that originally played the original to do the recording.
    Does it happen both ways, (a) using the antenna coax cable to connect the two VCR's with nothing plugged into the video and audio jacks, and (b) using the video and audio jacks with the antenna coax line disconnected?
    If you disconnect the cables from the TV but leave the VCR's connected to each other does the hiss stop at that place on the tape when you play it?
    (A bit technical) Put a low pass filter on each of the two audio feeds.
    Hopefully you can find some connection arrangement that works OK.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm