What's new

VCR to Receiver hookup problems. (1 Viewer)

Anthony_Br

Agent
I am having a problem with recording TV programs now that my VCR is hooked up to my receiver. I can put a tape in and the picture and sound will play fine, but when I go to record a program I am having problems. I am getting nothing but fuzz and no sound, I have the VCR IN cables connected to the Receiver OUT and The VCR OUT cables connected to the Receiver IN. I don't know what else to do, and I really need to get this working because I need to tape something for tomorrow. Thanks in advance for any help that is given!

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
What about the antenna/cable? Usually this comes straight from the wall (or cable box) directly into the VCR. Not through the receiver.

Anthony_Br

Agent
Actually I have my cable video going to my television and the audio going straight to the receiver. I did this so that I did not have to turn my VCR on in order to watch cable. But, could this be the reason for my problems? Do I have to switch it back to the cable running through the VCR to record?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yes, you'll need to plug the coax feed from the Cable TV into the VCR coax antenna input, and then run the coax antenna output from the VCR into the TV.

This will allow your VCR to record the Cable TV signal. If you don't want to use your VCR when watching Cable TV programming on your TV, hooking the Cable coax feed through the VCR will pass that signal through to the TV even if the VCR is off, though the video quality will be a little less with this setup. But you should still be able to watch Cable TV programming on the TV only.

I usually just watch Cable TV programming through my VCR because the video quality is better.

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
If your receiver has no other video input (other than the VCR) coming into it, there will be nothing to go out to the VCR for it to record. If you have cable, you should just connect the cable to the VCR. You can use a splitter so that one leg goes to the TV and the other goes to the VCR. This way the TV does not have to be on to record and vice versa. Also, you can record one program while watching another. If your cable uses a "cable decoder box," you will have to have two of them to be able to record any channel while watching any other.

SMK

Anthony_Br

Agent
Thanks for all of your help guys. I just figured it out. I was able to run my cable box straight to my receiver, and then run my VCR IN to the receiver OUT and VCR OUT to receiver IN, and it works prefectly. I was able to record and get video and audio with no problem. Actually now I have the option of looking at cable through the VCR, or turning it off and switching to my AUX (on the receiver)and watching cable that way. Thanks again for all of your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks