VCR that plays 8mm camcorder tapes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Timon Russo, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

My Sony 8mm Handycam died, and I really don't want another 8mm, but don't want to lose my library of tapes. Is there a stand alone 8mm deck out there? Is this a good solution?
    Thanks.

2. Victor R

Victor R Agent

There are several 8mm VCR units out there. I bought mine (a Sony Hi8 unit) 1n 1996 from J an R Music world - a quick search of their site did not show any 8mm decks, but I believe they still had them in the last catalog I saw. Both Hi8 as well as regular 8mm versions are available.
    Sony makes several of these - both regular VCR's with tuners and timers just like VHS units, but they also make decks that are simply play and record decks without the TV tuner/timer built in, for people that mainly want to use them for playing camcorder tapes. Those are quite a bit less expensive.
    I actually use my unit both for playing camcorder tapes but also as a VCR in place of the VHS unit, for shows that I am interested in keeping for a long time. Recording times are 2hr SP and 4hr EP, and the quality on Hi8 beats anything else I have seen on consumer videotape to date.
    Tape storage is much nicer in addition; the only negative is that Hi8 tapes are expensive.
    Happy Hunting!
    Victor

3. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

Wow, Victor. That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. Off to J&R....

4. Aaron Croft

Aaron Croft Stunt Coordinator

Great topic.. I am in the same boat here.. a bunch of 8mm tapes, no camcorder, and no interest in buying an 8mm camcorder.
    Any more ideas on where to buy an 8mm deck???
    Thanks
    Aaron

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

6. Dave P

Dave P Auditioning

eBay's a great source for used 8mm and Hi-8mm equipment.