VCR Terms: 19 Micron Heads and Flying Erase Head

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Rob, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Rick Rob

Rick Rob Auditioning

Sep 23, 2002

I'm looking to replace an old VCR and not looking to spend a lot. It's going to be used to record the odd missed show and perhaps dubbing from another VCR (not important stuff).

I've come across two terms that I'm unfamiliar with:

- 19 Micron Heads
    - Flying Erase Head

Anyone have a good definition for a non-techie?

It's a toss-up between the "Toshiba W522 4-Head VCR HiFi" and the "Toshiba W625 4-Head HiFi VCR" where the differences are, as far as I can tell, a more complex remote, 19 Micron Heads, and about $25.

Thanks for the help. Great site by the way...

2. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Apr 23, 2000
    In real world terms I doubt the 19 micron will do anything that will be of much notice to you...just a marketing scheme meant to make folks think you're getting a super duper VCR...kinda like when crappy American cars of the 80's the manufacturers plastered signs to their trunk lids saying "1.2 liter Overdrive" blah blah blah.

As for the flying erase head, that can make a difference when recording stuff. it helps to keep the picture from getting all jumpy and crappy looking when you pause the recording a bit..then continue...makes for a smooth transition.

Hope that helps

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Nov 1, 1998
    All tape recording heads have a gap where the head contacts the tape. The gap width has an effect on the horizontal resolution among other things, generally the narrower the gap the better the resolution except there are some disadvantages too such as more sudden loss of quality if tape oxide dust should cake up in the vicinity of the gap which can happen after some wear has occurred on the head.
    The flying erase head erases each of the diagonal stripes just before a new stripe is re-recorded. (One diagonal stripe is recorded for each video field of odd or even scan lines.) The regular erase head erases the entire width of the tape, and during pauses, there may be small unerased places on the tape where fragments of old diagonal stripes are left behind or gaps where nothing is recorded.
    Video hints: