What's new

VCR Tape question.. (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hey all,
If this is possible, it would make my archiving life a whole lot easier, rather than peicing a 20 minute show like a jigsaw puzzle :)..
My VCR, unfortunalty, had mini chewed up a few handfull of tapes. The tapes where still watchable, when when I stopped the fast forward button, you heard a chilling crumpling sound. The tape still played, but where the crumpling sound occured, a bunch of bumps appear in the tape. When that part of the tape is played back, a big white snow line comes down from top to bottom.
Is this fixable so the snow line is non existant, by perhaps smoothing out the tape? The audio is still there, just the big white line is what needs to be gotten rid of..
Thanks!

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
Hi Neal. That "big white snow line" is probably because your tape has been creased or crinkled. As far as I know, the only way to get rid of it is to cut out that piece of bad tape and splice the ends. Or you can make a copy and get rid of the old one.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
You _might_ be able to restore it if you play it on a good high end VHS deck with a good TBC and record on another deck.

Cutting and spliceing tape is bad, so is creased tape they both damage the heads and rollers.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Heya, thanks for the replies guys, but mind if I ask what a TBC is?
Currently, when a tape is damaged in the middle of a needed show, I use the audio from a copy that has a terrible picture, but good audio. Then Dupe the Audio onto the good video with the White line so they match together with clear sound. It's a real pain in the neck, but here's hoping these suggestions can help :)..
Thanks!

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
BTW Just remember, you'll lose whatever video and audio portion you cut from the VHS tape. If you decide to go that route. This is obvious but I had to mention it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks