VCR Strange Behavior

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Henry Clifford, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Henry Clifford

Henry Clifford Auditioning

Greetings:

Long time listener, first time caller.

I have a VCR that sits in an entertainment niche as part of an in-wall home theater.

1. The components are all in the niche, the television is fed by S-Video and F-Coax (Quad Shield) in another location

2. I'm running the CATV through the VCR and back out to the TV by means of a coax cross-connect between the niche and TV. TV has RCA and coax ins. I haven't used RCA ins at all, just F.

3. The CATV comes through fine on the TV. However, when I go to play a movie, I get nothing but static on the TV. I've messed with the CH3/CH4 selector to no avail.

4. If I take the niche connection out of the picture and just use a short patch cable between the VCR and TV, the VCR works fine. If I leave the TV alone, unplug the VCR and put it back in the niche, it's snow city again when I play the movie, again CATV works fine.

5. My terminations are good, as evidenced by the CATV's ability to display. I guess I'm stumped.

6. Are there any known issues with using quad shield coax and a VCR?

7. Are there any signal strength issues with the VCR getting over a 30 foot run along with CATV signal?

Thanks for any assistance you might have!

-Henry Clifford

2. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

I must say that I'm stumped as well. But, to answer questions 6 and 7, no to both. There should be no problems with a quad shield coax cable and runs of 30 feet should also be no problem.

I would wonder, though, why you would want to watch a movie through the coax cable. If your VCR is putting out an s-video signal, and you have an s-video cable going from it to the TV, why don't you just watch the movie via the s-video input on the TV. Does this work when you try it? The picture should be noticeably better watching via an s-video connection.

On the other hand, I still can't explain why you're having the problem you are.

SMK

3. Henry Clifford

Unfortunately the TV doesn't have S-Video ins. Only F and RCA. Thanks for the advice, though!

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I don't want to sound dumb here, but when you set the channel 3/4 switch are you also setting the tv to channel 3/4? If the vcr is feeding a cable box then the cable box must also be on the same CH as the vcr switch & the tv will have to be on the same channel that the cable box outputs to. What do you have plugged into the RCA A/V Inputs ? & why aren't you using them? Also, you are turning the TV/VCR Switch on the VCR to "VCR" I hope?

5. Henry Clifford

No cable box to speak of. Using the TVs modulator. The channel settings are the same on the TV. I haven't used the RCA AV inputs yet because I wanted to get it working with F first. I will file the RCA option and use that to try it out. Thanks!