VCR recording and a Yamaha RX V2400

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DaveAr, Feb 19, 2004.

1. DaveAr

DaveAr Stunt Coordinator

A few months ago I finally set up my HT, with various amts of help from members of this board. Still learning though guys/gals thanks. Now my current problem. I set everything up according to the manual, running all my components thru the Yamaha. Up until last night I never had a reason to try and record using my VCR, Sony SLV-N700. But I tried to record something last night. Nothing came out. I sat there and tried to record, not simply setting a timer. First off I must assume that since I have the VCR connected into the Yamha, I must record while my HT is on. No more simply turning on the TV, and recording that way right? Next I had the Yammy on, set to cable/sat. Picture okay on TV, inserted tape, set VCR to line 1 in, hit record. Let it record for a minute or so. Rewind, play......No picture. But I did pick up the audio. If I insert a pre-recorded tape it plays fine. I thought the blank tape was bad, changed tapes...nothing. I tried playing around with settings....TV set to Sat w/o running the HT, and VCR set to record....Nothing. Yammy on, set to VCR1, TV set to Sat....nothing.. There are 3 choices for input on the VCR...LINE 1...LINE2..Chan3 The only one that picked up anything was LINE1, and that was audio only from the recording. I'm going skiing (Big Boulder) for 2 days figured I'd leave this query while I was gone. What else could I troubleshoot. Or does anyone have an answer or had a similar problem. Or am I simply having a "moment". Thanks:b

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

if it recorded the audio, but no the video, then it sounds like everything is hooked up right.

try a different input on the vcr. are you sure the vcr isn't messed up somehow? can it record regular broadcast tv via the coax cable?

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    This is obviously a connections problem, assuming that nothing is wrong with the VCR.

There is really no reason to have the VCR’s line inputs connected to the Yamaha if the only thing you’ll be recording from is the satellite receiver. If the sat receiver has a second set of audio and video outputs I’d send them directly to the VCR’s line inputs. That way you don’t have to have the whole system on when you record.

If that’s not feasible, there can be only two possible situations causing this problem.
    • You have the satellite receiver’s video output (i.e., RCA cabling) going directly to the television and not first to the Yamaha.
    • The video cable between the VCR’s video input and the Yamaha’s video output is bad.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

that would be my guess.

i just don't get how he could be getting audio...but not video. if the "signal path" is open for one part ... it should be open for the other???

5. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I had always assumed that in order to record from a satellite box or Cable box, you had to have the VCR hooked between it and the TV. That is, the coax cable going from the wall to the cable/satellite box, and the cable out from the cable/satellite box to the cable in port on the VCR, then have the cable out port from the VCR going to the TV. The one caveat to this approach is that you can't watch TV on one channel and record another. The upside is that you don't have to have anything else on but the satellite/Cable box and the VCR itself to record to the VCR.

6. BrentG

BrentG Stunt Coordinator

What inputs are you using from your SAT to the V2400?

Reason I ask is because the V2400 will convert video up but not down. What this means is that if you are using S-Video or Component Video on your SAT box into the V2400 the video will not get fed into the Composite in of your VCR. This would also explain why you are getting sound and no picture.

You can make it work, I have the same set up. Just have to hook up the composite video also.

7. DaveAr

DaveAr Stunt Coordinator

Okay. If I remember correctly the VCR DOES NOT have S-video plugs.
    This would follow in line with Brent's thoughts.
    So I guess what I need to do now is Disassemble my wall unit (bitch) to get to my wires.
    Then I guess i will disconnect my VCR from the Yamaha and run it diectly to the TV via the second set of inputs.
    This way as mentioned before, I do not need to have my whole setup on to simply record a program. Besides, the limited use I get from the VCR would have no bearing on my HT.
    VCR used for mainly kids tapes, and maybe an occasional movie recorded from sat (actually these are used in my portable vcr in the car to keep them quiet)
    Thanks, I'll attempt this tomorrow, and follow up here.:b