VCR recommendations: just for dumping TiVo recordings?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ernest Aguayo, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Ernest Aguayo

Ernest Aguayo Stunt Coordinator

Hey folks...

I tried doing a search on VCR recommendations, but I couldn't find what I was specifically looking for in all those threads, so:

Anyone have a recommendation for a relatively inexpensive VCR that I could use just for archiving/occasionally playing back TiVo recordings? I never rent/buy videos, I use a VCR mainly to make tapes of TiVo recordings for TiVo-less friends.

I am looking to spend around $100, is this possible? Just want something basic like stereo and good audio/video. I don't care about remote/timer/menus, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Ernest

2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

For what it's worth from Consumer Reports:

VHS MODELS SP-VERY GOOD EP-GOOD (This was the best rating)

Sony SLV-N71 $130

Philips VR674CAT $100

Sony SLV-N51 $100

Hitachi VT-FX665A $80

Philips VR621CAT $80

Myself I would buy one of the Sony models. If you really want to go cheap I would buy the Symphonic SL260B $60 which CR said "If you use your vcr mostly for playing pre-recorded tapes, you can get a good performer with fewer features for even less. The Symphonic $60 & GE VG4250, $70,are two good examples.

What I've found is that the cheaper ones don't record that well because of the tunner's in them, but I would think that if your recording from your TIVO that should not make any difference. If I was you I would try the Symphonic vcr first & if your not happy with the picture quality take it back (make sure you can exchange it first) and then go with a Sony.

Hope this helps you out. Oh Symphonic is now the worlds largest maker of VCR's. In fact they are making a lot of the cheaper priced vcr's for Philips, Panasonic & etc.

3. Ernest Aguayo

Bill, that's some great info there.

Thanks!

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Ernest, The Sony model SLVN51 has been replaced by the "NEW" SLVN55 & Circuit City has it advertised for $89.99 this week I know that WAL-MART, K-MART, SEARS & BEST BUY also have the Sony & they will match Circuit City's price if one isn't close to you. Again, I would give one of the cheaper HI-FI VCR's a try first, who knows one of them might work out OK for you. [​IMG] GOOD LUCK!

5. Ernest Aguayo

cool! thanks again, Bill!