VCR Questions, Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Mar 24, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Here's some questions I've been wondering. Do they just not make VCR's like they used to?

I had a VCR that we must have had around for at least the last 20 years. Never had a problem with it. I upgraded to a newer, Mono version in 1995, barley lasted a year. Finally made the upgrade to Hi-Fi Stereo in 1996. It's lasted a good five years now, but is now starting to show signs of decay. Mainly, it's chewing up tapes regularly, and is making a high pitched sort of ringing sound whenever a tape places. Dosn't always do it, but it seems to be happening more frequently.

Two Questions.

1)How can I stop the tape playback noise?

And 2)What Brand VCR lasts longer than 5 years these days? I'm pretty happy with the two Panasonic VCR's that I Have, after switching over from GE, but if there's a better brand, I'm all for it.

Hopefully this'll be the last VCR I'll have to buy untill DVD Recorders become more affordable...

Thanks!

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    In my experience, the best VCRs out there are made by JVC (theirs being the S-VHS models) and Hitachi. I bought a Hitachi in 1997 and gave it to my then girlfriend in 2000. She still uses it on a regular basis with no problems.

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Most of the vcr's today are being made as cheaply as possible to keep the price down with more plactic parts & etc. You might want to take a look at the Panasonic "SEMI" PRO "AG" line. They are built much better than regular consumer vcr's & should last longer. The prices start at around $220 for a mono model. Check www.jandr.com for specs & etc.
    PANASONIC MODEL NUMBERS
    AG-1340 Monaural Audio $219.99
    AG-2570 HI-FI Audio $329.99
    AG-1980 S-VHS HI-FI $999.99
    They all have built in tuners, timers & come with remote controls just like regular consumer vcr's.

4. Glenn Guerra

Glenn Guerra Extra

Niel,

Same thing happened to me on a cheapo emmerson model. Enuff said. I heard high pitched noises too that transeferd onto the tape I was dubbing to. I tried new cables, expensive cables etc............nothing worked. I even tried exchanging it, but the same thing happened. Finally, I returned it and bought a Sony. No problems since.

Yes, I think they are making it cheaper and really sucky. Stick with the better brands.

Glenn