What's new

VCR question. (1 Viewer)

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
So the last time I bought a VCR the high end machines advertised the "Flying Erase Head" feature. I want to buy a second machine and all the players I have checked out make no mention of the feature. Are the flying erase heads pretty much standard these days? I don't want any rainbows on my tapes! It was funny to see the look on my local Best Buy blue shirt's face when I asked about flying erase heads. He had no clue.
Thanks!
--Ian

Adam N

Agent
Ian,
Flying erase heads were really marketed in the mid to late 90's. Now it is rare to find a vcr that boasts this as a feature. I attempted to look for a machine or two that would perform flawless & seamless edits. The only thing that I found after extensive searching was a Go Video deck with F.E.H. (flying erase heads) and any extremely high end editing machine ($1,200.00 & up). Good luck in your search, you may have a difficult time locating a machine like this. It goes without saying that if anyone reads this and knows that I am wrong, I would greatly appreciate a response to point us both in the right direction. Good luck and thank you.
smile.gif

Adam

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
That kinda stinks. I bought my VCR in '96 (JVC HR-VP720U) and it still is rock solid. I practice SAFE VIDEO watching. The only tapes that go into it are new blanks or store bought tapes. NO RENTALS in my machine thank you very much. I use a crappy VCP for that. I just want to get a second player because I do a bunch of television taping and have some scheduling conflicts and occasionally I have to tape over pre-recorded sections. That was why i was hoping that F.H.E.s were maybe a standard now.
-Ian

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
I believe that most of the higher level S-VHS machines have flying erase heads. I have two JVC units that are either the top or next to top model that do, one Sony that does, and an old Mitsubishi that doesn't. I know that the current top of the line Mitubishi S-VHS machine does specifically "boast" of flying erase heads, but the next model down doesn't. If you go to a place like Best Buy ask to see the owner's manual. All the specs including this, should be in the manual.
SMK

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I think you have to go with SVHS. Here is a not too expensive JVC model:
http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/produc...odel=HR-S5910U
For not much more money, you could go for the next model up:
Link Removed
The nice thing about the 7800 is that it has TBC or Time Based Corrector which is a fancy way of saying it has noise reduction for older tapes. I bought a 7800 and I like it so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks