VCR question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ian_H, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

So the last time I bought a VCR the high end machines advertised the "Flying Erase Head" feature. I want to buy a second machine and all the players I have checked out make no mention of the feature. Are the flying erase heads pretty much standard these days? I don't want any rainbows on my tapes! It was funny to see the look on my local Best Buy blue shirt's face when I asked about flying erase heads. He had no clue.
    Thanks!
    --Ian

2. Adam N

Adam N Agent

Ian,
    Flying erase heads were really marketed in the mid to late 90's. Now it is rare to find a vcr that boasts this as a feature. I attempted to look for a machine or two that would perform flawless & seamless edits. The only thing that I found after extensive searching was a Go Video deck with F.E.H. (flying erase heads) and any extremely high end editing machine ($1,200.00 & up). Good luck in your search, you may have a difficult time locating a machine like this. It goes without saying that if anyone reads this and knows that I am wrong, I would greatly appreciate a response to point us both in the right direction. Good luck and thank you. [​IMG]
    Adam

3. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

That kinda stinks. I bought my VCR in '96 (JVC HR-VP720U) and it still is rock solid. I practice SAFE VIDEO watching. The only tapes that go into it are new blanks or store bought tapes. NO RENTALS in my machine thank you very much. I use a crappy VCP for that. I just want to get a second player because I do a bunch of television taping and have some scheduling conflicts and occasionally I have to tape over pre-recorded sections. That was why i was hoping that F.H.E.s were maybe a standard now.
    -Ian

4. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

I believe that most of the higher level S-VHS machines have flying erase heads. I have two JVC units that are either the top or next to top model that do, one Sony that does, and an old Mitsubishi that doesn't. I know that the current top of the line Mitubishi S-VHS machine does specifically "boast" of flying erase heads, but the next model down doesn't. If you go to a place like Best Buy ask to see the owner's manual. All the specs including this, should be in the manual.
    SMK

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

6. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Thanks for all the tips!
    --Ian