vcr or tv problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Matthews, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Josh Matthews

Hello all,

I tried this post on the displays forum and it was barely looked at so I guess maybe here is more appropriate.

ANYWAY, I've got a 27" Panasonic CT-something or other (model # escapes me and I'm at work, C27D10? pretty basic, no PIP.) It was a floor model. From the time I bought it approximately a year ago, I've noticed that when I play VHS tapes (standard JVC 4 head VHS) there is a thin white line that looks similar to what you see when you over-adjust tracking on a vcr. It's thin and at the bottom of the screen. It only happens with tapes and the VCR did not do this to my old TV. I currently have it hooked to the tv with component cables, I have used the co-axial cable and it doesn't make a difference.

My Playstation and now my my playstation 2 plays games and dvds without causing this problem (and I've had component and S-video with the PS and S-video to composite with the PS2). To my mind all of the above seems to indicate the problem is with the tv and not the vcr, etc.

Is it that there's some sort of sound data or something that appears below the normal viewing image and the horizontal orientation needs to be corrected? Does this mean I have to figure out how to get into "service mode" and, if so, what are the odds of me hopelessly messing up the display once I'm in there? Or should I try to ignore it because, as my fiance says, I'm blowing it out of proportion and the INFURIATING LITTLE WHITE LINE is no big deal?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

Have you tried the VCR on another TV to see if the problem "moves"? It may just be a dirty or scratched video head. Also, try borrowing a VCR from a friend and try it on your TV before you blame the TV.

3. Josh Matthews

I have not tried another vcr, but the vcr works fine with my other tv. I hadn't thought of trying another vcr, though, I'll try that tonight. Thanks.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

so you're saying the problem only happens on the tv when you play tapes in the vcr?

to me, that sounds like a vcr problem...not a tv. if you can play dvd's from your ps2, then i don' think it's your tv.

maybe i'm misunderstanding you...

5. Robert P. Jones

Robert P. Jones Second Unit

All VCRs present a pretty little busy line at the bottom of the screen - some TVs are just slightly overscanned enough vertically at the factory to hide it, some are not.

If you can get into your service mode, just either vertically expand your image a bit, or move the entire image downwards just a bit, just enough to hide it.

RPTVs have centering magnets around each CRT neck to make this kind of thing easy, as far as centering goes, directviews do not. With DVs, you simply have to use the vertical height control to hide these things. On older units it is a screwdriver pot, on the newer sets it is done internally, with service menus.

Mr Bob

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Robert P. Jones

I definitely second that one!

Mr Bob

8. Josh Matthews

Thanks, guys.

Judging from what Mr Bob said about the line, I guess it's the T.V. I will consider the service mode option. Anyone know anyplace I can get service manual info. online or do I have to buy a manual?

9. Stacey

Stacey Stunt Coordinator

Josh,

I really would not tinker with TV adjustment's, it can lead to alot of grief. I see the same problem from time to time on my TV and it's always the VCR and the Tape that are the problem. My fix is to manually adjust the VCR tracking just enough to get rid of the line yet not throw the picture off.

10. Robert P. Jones

I don't think that would cure the problem in this case. I think it is the line that is always there when a video image is playing from the tape.

I am available for paid phone consultation if you wish - completely separate from this board, of course. I can talk you thru it. Email me privately, or give me a call.

Mr Bob