What's new

VCR- mono to stereo convert? (1 Viewer)

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
I've recently aquired a big box of VHS tapes. Since some are not on DVD yet, I may actually play them once in a while. My 4-head VCR is NOT stereo.
Can one of those stand-alone stereo converters (ie Recoton FRED) convert the mono output of a VCR to stereo?
I know it will convert the cable pass-thru signal, but I think the stereo VHS tapes have 2 sounds tracks. A mono, and the hifi which needs a hifi VCR to be picked up?
(Just curious... a converter would be cheaper then a new hifi VCR).

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
No, the only thing you can do is get a Y adapter and run it from the White audio output (usually mono). You will not have the other channel available to use the Recoton on. RF modulators can do this from the cable signal by seperating or extracting the sound for the coax cable. I think that's how it works.
------------------
ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
DISMEMBERMENT...
Link Removed

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
As for as I know, there is no conversion from mono to stereo. I don’t see how it could be possible. Hi-fi stereo VCRs record the audio across the full width of the tape, same as the video. The old mono VCRs recorded the audio on the outer edge of the tape. Before the hi-fi stereo VCRs came out, there were some with stereo recorded at the edge of the tape. Many of these had Dolby NR, but in reality it was just two channels of the same lo-fi sound.
Just curious... a converter would be cheaper then a new hi-fi VCR).
Have you checked VCR prices lately??
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks