1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

VCR- mono to stereo convert?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick_Scott, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

I've recently aquired a big box of VHS tapes. Since some are not on DVD yet, I may actually play them once in a while. My 4-head VCR is NOT stereo.
    Can one of those stand-alone stereo converters (ie Recoton FRED) convert the mono output of a VCR to stereo?
    I know it will convert the cable pass-thru signal, but I think the stereo VHS tapes have 2 sounds tracks. A mono, and the hifi which needs a hifi VCR to be picked up?
    (Just curious... a converter would be cheaper then a new hifi VCR).

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

No, the only thing you can do is get a Y adapter and run it from the White audio output (usually mono). You will not have the other channel available to use the Recoton on. RF modulators can do this from the cable signal by seperating or extracting the sound for the coax cable. I think that's how it works.
    ------------------
    ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
    DISMEMBERMENT...
    MY HT PIXS

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    As for as I know, there is no conversion from mono to stereo. I don’t see how it could be possible. Hi-fi stereo VCRs record the audio across the full width of the tape, same as the video. The old mono VCRs recorded the audio on the outer edge of the tape. Before the hi-fi stereo VCRs came out, there were some with stereo recorded at the edge of the tape. Many of these had Dolby NR, but in reality it was just two channels of the same lo-fi sound.