VCR hookup to satellite receiver question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Joey Skinner, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

I'm trying to hook my VCR up to record programs from my dish. I have a Sony KF-42WE610 tv and just recently had a Dish Network HD system installed with the 811 receiver. I can playback with the vcr but not record, and I'm not sure if it is a hookup problem or system settings. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    8???re trying to record HD programming, you probably can't, due to copy protection.
    As far as hooking up, you just use the red, white and yellow rca composite cables or the RG 6(?) cable, if vcr isn't stereo. If your vcr has s-video, you can use that instead of the yellow rca composite. Go out from sat. receiver to the inputs on the back of the vcr.
    To record, set vcr on channel 3 (or L1, if it's stereo). Then put sat. receiver on channel to record, and push record button on vcr. Remember..........vcr has to stay on channel 3 or L1.
    Good luck!

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    To clarify Ed’s advice a little, Ch. 3 would be used for an RF connection between the two, L1 would be used for line-level (RCA/S-video) connections.

You’ll have to keep in mind that you can’t program the VCR for time shifting with satellite. However, many sat receivers have provisions for controlling the VCR to come on at the right time.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

Thanks guys, I got it working.

5. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    What was it that made it start working? Glad you got it going ok.

I'm wondering why the 8???re showed up at the beginning of my reply? I know I had it right........I double checked.
    It WAS saying "If you're....."

6. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

I'm not exactly sure but I think it was the line 1 input. I was frustrated over my inability to do something as easy as hooking up a VCR. This lead to me thinking that maybe you couln't use a VCR with a HD receiver. Sometimes you just need some reassurance and a fresh start. By the way, I can record High Def programs but they play back in standard def.
    "8???re" had me almost as confused as my equipment problems,lol!
    Thanks again,
    Joey S

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    That’s curious, Ed. I’ve had a similar problem a few times, but I compose my replies in Word and paste them into the field. I’ve gotten that little square when I tried to use symbols like (+) over (-), or on something like “6th” when Word sent the “th” to superscript, but never on anything else. One of those cyber-mysteries, I guess!

When you click on the “Edit” button, what does it look like from there? The same thing?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt