VCR hookup - composite and coax?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Schex, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Greg Schex

Greg Schex Agent

I'm sure there's a really easy answer but.... Why does my VCR need both coax in/out as well as composite video/audio in and out? It seems like a lot of cables for one component of my system. [​IMG] All my components currently run through the receiver. I am hoping to reduce the large tangle of wires. Thanks

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    For better audio and video quality, go with the composite video/stereo L&R connection to your receiver and for casual VCR watching, use the coax cable connection straight to your TV.

The coax cable combines audio and video in one cable for poorer audio and video quality. The L+R+video connections split the audio and video for better quality. Just FYI, s-video splits the video into separate components for even better video quality, and component video splits the video into even more components for even better video still.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

You can omit the antenna coax going from VCR to TV but...
    1. You will no longer be able to watch one show while taping another (the coax carries all the other channels to the TV's own tuner when the VCR's "TV/VCR" setting is "TV".),
    2. You will have to turn on the VCR in order to watch any TV broadcast (nothing comes out the VCR's video jack when the VCR is off whereas the antenna coax line is always alive).
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Greg Schex

Greg Schex Agent

[​IMG] OK so the coax cables > cable box to VCR > and VCR to TV will stay! My question now is why the RCA cords from VCR to reciever and back? Do I get a better video/audio signal when I watch the VCR through the reciever as it then goes through these cords? Thanks

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Allan Jayne

When you choose the channel you want to watch using the VCR, you get a better picture when the video goes down the RCA cord to the TV (VCR video out to TV video in with or without receiver in between) compared with removing the RCA cord(s) and relying only on the antenna coax cord to the TV.

It is not possible for you to choose the channel using the TV's channel selector unless the antenna coax is connected to the TV. Here the comb filter in the TV versus that in the VCR makes for most of the difference if any in quality compared with tuning in the channel using the VCR.

7. Greg Schex

Greg Schex Agent

Thanks Alan & Michael- I think I am getting it[​IMG] OK I need the 2 coax cables, I need the RCA cord from VCR out to the reciever (for surround sound,right?) but what about the RCA which goes OUT from Reciever to IN VCR ? Do I really need it?? Alan, I can only change channels on the cable box never with the TV or VCR (they both stay on ch 3) - Thanks guys [​IMG]

8. Allan Jayne

The cord going from the receiver Oyutput to the VCR Input is used when recording from another device such as a DVD player connected to the receiver. But since due to copy protection most of the VCR's ever made cannot record most of the DVD's ever pressed, you may never find a use for this in which case you can remove that cord.

9. Greg Schex

Greg Schex Agent

VICTORY!! Thanks Alan, the cord is going OUT [​IMG] (wish I would have known earlier but I was so.. eager [​IMG] ) I'm inwalling these cords so this really helps. [​IMG]