VCR Front vs Back A/V Jacks...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sheldon, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

Since I still own about 250 VHS movies and my VCR has bitten the dust I need to replace it with a newer one.My older Hi-Fi VCR was great.It had rear jacks that I could easily plug jacks into my receiver.Now when looking for a new one,I've noticed that most have front jacks now which makes it much harder to plug into the receiver besides the fact that you would have wires coming out of the front which doesn't look good.Can anyone tell me why manufacturers are switching to front jacks??

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Depending on the price point, VCRs will have a set of jacks on the front panel as well. This was so that people who wanted to migrate their camcorder video from something like the VHS-C format to standard VHS format so they could share the video easily with others. By having front panel jacks, it was easily to connect the camcorder output to the VCR (without having to get to the rear of the VCRs (which in some setups can be a major hassle).

Usually, there will always be one set of input jacks in the rear of the VCR, and as an extra bonus/feature with a slight cost/model number, it will have front panel jacks as well.

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

The VCR's output jacks ARE in the back, so you are ok. As Partrick said, the front jacks are for inputting, like from a camcorder or for dubbing a tape.

Glenn

4. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Guys...I didn't realize that their will be jacks on the back as well as the front.