1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

VCR\DVD combo problem, please help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BradVan, Jan 16, 2003.

1. BradVan

BradVan Auditioning

I am new to Home theaters and am actually going to purchase some equipment soon. Here is my problem: I currently have a DVDVCR combo player and was wondering if I can hook it up some way so they both work with the surround sound. I was told that if I connect the DVDVCR to the reciever with an Optical or Coaxial digital cable, that my VCR won't work and I would need to get another one. Is this true?

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III

3. BradVan

BradVan Auditioning

Thanks for responding Carl, but the guy I talked to said I would need another VCR. Is this possible? He was a salesmen at radio shack. I am just trying to determine my budget, and I really don't want to purchase another VCR if it's not necessary. So if anyone knows how to connect it so they will both work that would be great! I am really anxious to start getting some equipment and I don't want to get the wrong thing if there is some special jacks etc. I should be looking for. Thanks again guys.

4. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

Brad, this has nothing to do with your DVD/VCR combo, and everything to do with your A/V Receiver. If you have a surround receiver, then you can hook up your combo player to it to receive surround sound. Most combo players I've seen have different audio/video connections for each sub-component (i.e. one set of cables for dvd, another for the vcr). If that's the case, hook them each up to a different set of inputs on your receiver (a digital connection from the dvd is needed for DD/DTS, and composite/rca connection from vcr), and you should get Dolby Digital and/or DTS with your DVD, and Dolby Pro Logic from your VCR tapes.

Hope this helps.