VCR Clocks

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Von Pein, Mar 12, 2002.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Does anybody own a VCR with a clock that will actually keep the correct time for more than 3 days running??

Every one I've had loses about a minute every few days (which is ridiculous).

I now just don't even bother to set it. (Don't do any timer recording anyhow.) Glad it's a Panasonic [which displays just --:--, instead of the proverbial flashing 12:00].

2. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

This is a problem that has been bothering me on my Mitsubishi SVCR. My wife uses the timer function to record so she has to adjust for however many minutes it is off. Right now it's about 10 minutes behind. I wish there was a fix.

3. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

I don't know why this is in software but anyway, why do VCR's have external clocks period? What is the point? I used to own a Panasonic VCR that had no clock at all, although it did keep time and displayed it onscreen so you could timer record. To me it's just as strange as DVD players having clocks on them.

Jeff

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

This must be for the VCR newbie crowd. The chances are that it hasn't been setup correctly. Most of the stations carry a 'time' signal too, but try PBS first. You'll have to go into the setup menu and let the VCR find it.

Glenn

5. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

I have 2 Sony VCRs, one of them coming up on 10 years old and neither one has ever had any problems at all with their clock.

6. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
  8. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Ken, I understand the reason why VCR's keep time. But why have a visible clock on the outside?

9. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

10. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Back in the dark ages when VCR's were new, the inclusion of a clock as part of the equipment wasn't a common or usual thing for an appliance that people didn't associate with keeping time.
    As part of the marketing of the device, it was probably decided that being able to use this dohicky as a clock was a great extra benefit, since you had to keep time on it anyway.
    Also, the display of it would give everyone greater awareness of when it wasn't set at all (due to power outage) or when it was set incorrectly (daylight saving time change not done or losing time).
    So they put the LED displays on the face of VCR's, and it has been thus ever since. If there are units out there which don't bother to display the clocks, then I'm sure the designers considered it a "radical" decision! [​IMG]
    Personally, in the middle of the night I can see the bedroom VCR's display easier than I can see the alarm clock's display, so I'm grateful after I get up to drain the lizard to see the time and figure out if I should bother to go back to bed or not. [​IMG]