What's new

VCR as S-video source (1 Viewer)

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
hey guys,
i have a quick question regarding connecting the VCR to the Receiver as an S-video source.
is the S-video to Composite adapter the correct link between the VCR and Receiver?
and is this the correct adapter that i found at accessories4less.com?:
http://accessories4less.com/aless4/C...2D219&cc=&tpc=
i found a similar adapter at radio shack for $20, which i thought was too much for a small adapter.
thanks in advance for any input.
-david

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Yes, thats the adaptor.

But it's funny to read that you think the $20 for the radio shack version is too much.

Have you ever heard of a "Comb Filter"? This is the circuit in your television that converts Composite to SVideo. It is often the most expensive circuit in your television. You can get outboard comb filters, but they run $1,100 - $12,000.

The Accessories & Radio Shack units are in fact, cheap comb filters. They are more than a simple "Y" adaptor.

So whats the difference between the $20 units and the ones that cost a lot more? Quality!

Your television likely has a much better comb filter than these little units. If you could do an A/B comparison, you would see the difference.

But the Radio Shack units do solve the SVideo connection problem. And if you are like most of us, you watch video perhaps a few times per year. So the trade-off is acceptable.

Hope this helps.

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for your response Bob.
now i'm a bit embarassed to have complained about the $20 adapter at radio shack. :b

i actually watch video on a daily basis.
my fiance likes to catch up on her General Hospital soap every night.

i assume there should be no difference between the adapters at radio shack and accessories4less?

just curious, do they actually sell cables that convert composite signals to s-video, without the use of this type of adapter?

thanks again.
-david

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
do they actually sell cables that convert composite signals to s-video, without the use of this type of adapter?
Yes, a company basically sells the same adaptor as the Radio Shack/Accessories unit, but with a few feet of RCA cable on one end and SVideo cable on the other. Costs about $70.

My advice: Get a SVHS VCR (it has SVideo built in) or get a PVR unit from Dish Network or DirectTivo from DirectTV. These both have SVideo outputs, digital quality and are much, much faster/more convient than a VCR.

Good Luck.

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the advice, but...
at this time, i'm trying to make do with what we have.
i think i will proceed with ordering it from accessories4less.
many thanks.
:)

JayDaniel

Stunt Coordinator
David, here's a $5 solution from Parts Express. Same thing as Rad. Shack, but $15 cheaper.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=15509&DID=7
I use this in my HT to convert my composite (RCA) vcr connection to S-video into my receiver. Now all of my video sources (Cable Box, DVD, VCR) are s-video, and I only have one "s-video out" connection to my TV.
Hope this works for you. BTW - your A4L link had expired or didn't work.

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
Jay,
thanks for the information.
for that adapter, is the s-video side "male"?
meaning, would i plug this adapter into the receiver,
and rca video cable into the adapter, without the use of another s-video cable?
originally, i had imagined the use of both an rca video cable and s-video cable, with the adapter connecting the two cables at the center.
i believe the adapters at accessories4less and radio shack have the s-video side as a "female" connection.
thanks. i didn't think this would be so complicated.
:)

JayDaniel

Stunt Coordinator
David - Parts Express has both a male and female adapter (Parts 180-140 and 180-141) on the RCA end. The S-video end connects directly into the receiver or TV - no other cable needed. Works like a charm.

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
thanks jay! sounds fantastic.
it's amazing how cheap it is. i hope it is a decent quality.
:D

NateD

Auditioning
I'm glad I found this thread. I need the same thing (convert composite to s-video) and this thread reminded me that I already have a conversion cable that came with a video card. Now I only need to go home and find it.
I don't really need a quality filter, I just want something to use s-video since all my other components are using s-video into the receiver. Thanks a lot. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks