What's new

VCR advise needed (1 Viewer)

Ross L

Auditioning
My Toshiba SV771 SVHS VCR is getting tired and I suspect it's not long for this world. In it's day it was top of the line and We've had about 10 wonderful years together but as George Harrison said All things must pass. :frowning:
Well, I need to replace it but I can't decide what to replace it with. I need one with s-video out but not necessarily a SVHS model. The JVC HRS3900U can be had for about $160 and this sound good to me but I thought I'd ask the experts so I don't miss anything.
Thanks

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
I would go with that model or one of the higher JVC models.

You will not find a non S-VHS VCR with an S-video output. You can, however, for $20 find an adapter at Radio Shack to convert the composite signal to s-video if you need to do so for switching purposes.

SMK

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have a Panasonic PV-S7670. This model is no longer available, but the equivalent model is the PV-VS4821. List is $229. I am very happy with the performance of my unit. Over the years, I have also found that Panasonic products are very reliable, something I cannot say for JVC products, which are on my 10 foot pole list. JVC does make the best high end S-VHS VCRs as far as features and performance goes, but to me the 10 foot pole rule still applies.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Ross,

I’ve had good luck over the years with my JVC S-VHS machines; all of them have been top-of-the line or second-in-line machines.

I would avoid the lower-end stuff from JVC or anyone else, unless you just want something cheap to keep you a few years (if that long). You should be happy with the JVC 7xxx and 9xxx series; they seem to get consistently high reviews.

I also have a friend with the Panasonic model that John has; he has had no complaints with it.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'd second Wayne's sentiments but add that at this point when all our eyes have been spoiled by DVD, you'll dislike VHS even more with a ho-hum VCR. Now's a good time to maximize VHS. If you've ever shot home video on VHS or VHS-C. The 9800/9900 is the deck to get, it's DSP will do wonders for it. The 7800/7900 is a big improvement over ho-hum VCR's but the 9000 series is the real deal. The only thing better are way more expensive units like the Sony 1000 or Panasonic AG-1980. The Panasonic 4821 is comporable to the JVC 3900. It has no flying erase head or TBC curcuit same as the 3900. I'll take JVC ergonomics any day over Panasonic's. I have a Panasonic 7670 S-machine and it's remote is lousy, it's remote window tiny. It's pic quality is excelent though, maybe a bit better than a JVC 3600's. I'd buy the JVC 7000 or 9000 series. The TBC they offer is the ticket. Best wishes!

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Ross,

Why do you have to have a new VCR? You can get the superb Sony SLV-R1000 or Panasonic AG-1980 professional Super-VHS VCR's over eBay for $300-$400. Both of these beat the JVC 9800 in reliability and picture quality. I returned a new 9800 in favor of an R1000. The R1000 even contains a digital filter circuit licensed from Faroudja that really cleans up noise in VHS.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Why do you have to have a new VCR?
An important thing to keep in mind is that VCRs have a shorter live span than any other piece of HT equipment (have you ever wondered why most only have 90-day warranties?). Therefore a used VCR must be chosen carefully; one that was used say, only for movie rentals is obviously preferable to one was was used to tape 2-3 soap operas a day (which translates to a minimum of six hours of use daily!).

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ross L

Auditioning
Thanks everyone. I would have jumped on the deal on the 7800 at Crutchfield Chuck posted but I had already ordered the 3900. :frowning: Guess I jumped the gun a little too fast.
The reason I'm replacing it is the kids still have lots of VHS tapes they watch. Me, I prefer DVD. This should be the last VCR I buy but who knows, maybe Digital VCRs will be the wave of the future. Stranger things have happened.... :D

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I would return the 3900 & go with the 7800. If you got the 3900 from Crutchfield you won't even have to pay return shipping charges & they won't give you a hard time over doing this either. This still applies even if you have opened it & used it.

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
I also like Panasonic, I own a 7670 that works really well.
If you want JVC might I suggest the professional series the JVC HRS-1TU (I think) lists for about $350 and is available for about $250 and gets rid of a lot of the features for the same price range. It should be better built than the comparable consumer range which is a little too loaded with bells and whistles for my taste.
Link Removed

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
I got the JVC 7800 from Crutchfied a month ago and it's still running GOOD. I use it primarily for a tv tuner with my CATV cable RF to pass S-Video thru my receiver. The JVC remote then becomes the tv chl up/down. PQ is great.

Since my TV is S-Video capable only, I also pass my Panny RP-56 S-Video thru the rcvr.

I second the suggestion to return the 3900 series for the JVC 7800. Rachael's observations are good, since she's been thru a "slew" of these machines.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks