What's new

VCI's GANGBUSTERS best quality on this rip roaring serial (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Got the dvd release of the long awaited 1942 Universal Serial Gangbusters! Easily the best release of this classic serial and on of Universals top tier serial - nice extras make this a keeper! Solid image - clear pic - very little print damage -- 2k restoration really pays off!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I have the Blu-ray and it looks incredible. Also, I can highly recommend VCI's Blu-ray of RIDERS OF DEATH VALLEY (1941). Next up from VCI is WILD WEST DAYS (1937) with Johnny Mack Brown.
Hearing that this Rootin Tootin action packed serial will be another winner with a really stunning transfer! Here is a early look at what it may look like!

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
All of the VCI serial Blu Rays look amazing. It's nice to see the Universal serials getting the love they deserve.
Wish VCI could get their hands on The Spider's Web GREAT serial NO good prints out there! VCI would handle that one with care!

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Ones I'm looking forward to:

Ace Drummon
The Adventures of Smilin' Jack
Pirate Treasure
Any and all of the previously unavailable ones like The Jungle Mystery
Wish VCI could get their hands on The Spider's Web GREAT serial NO good prints out there! VCI would handle that one with care!
It would be fantastic if VCI could get their hands on the Columbia serials. And maybe pick up where Kino and Olive left off with the Republic serials.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Their website seemed to indicate they would be doing Flash Gordon Conquers the Universal.
The Phantom Creeps Blu-ray is once again up for pre-order on Amazon

Wishlist Serial Blu-ray list - all the Dick Tracy serials, The Zorro serials , The Phantom and The Green Hornet.

I haven't seen those Western ones yet. Actually Ive never heard of them ! :D Riders of Death Valley sounds interesting with the great cast and two actors that played the Frankenstein monster are in it !! SOLD :)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Their website seemed to indicate they would be doing Flash Gordon Conquers the Universal.

Wishlist Serial Blu-ray list - all the Dick Tracy serials, The Zorro serials , The Phantom and The Green Hornet.

I haven't seen those Western ones yet. Actually Ive never heard of them ! :D Riders of Death Valley sounds interesting with the great cast and two actors that played the Frankenstein monster are in it !! SOLD :)
Quality on Wild West Days is really great and starring Johnny Mack Brown made it a day one purchase! The Buck Jones serials The Phantom Rider and Gordon Of Ghost City also were quite stunning quality were rip roaring fun!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

On sale too! https://www.vcientertainment.com/product/riders-of-death-valley-2k-restored-special-edition-blu-ray/

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Great piece on the delay on The Phantom Creeps https://www.vcientertainment.com/the-phantom-creeps-4k-restoration-project/

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Also got this in the mail yesterday and it is a fun set https://www.vcientertainment.com/product/bob-steele-classic-westerns-four-feature/

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
The VCI blu of "Gang Busters" did indeed look pretty stunning. Really enjoyed it, and I followed it up by watching a Universal B-flick that our "Gang Busters" stars, Kent Taylor and Irene Hervey, appeared in together right about the same time, "Frisco Lil" (1942). Hervey actually gets the spotlight in this one, and it's good fun.

Really looking forward to "Phantom of the Air" (1933) coming in July, and "Pirate Treasure" (1934) coming in August. Sure, I've seen both serials before, but seeing them looking bright and fresh from top-notch 35mm elements is sometimes like seeing them for the first time. The location work should really pop in these two.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Gang Busters and Riders of the West were both enjoyable serials and was happy with the PQ on both :)

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
It's interesting that VCI is issuing upgraded/restored versions of some Universal serials but I don't think I'm interested in spending money on double dipping so I'll probably just stay with the copies I already have.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
It's interesting that VCI is issuing upgraded/restored versions of some Universal serials but I don't think I'm interested in spending money on double dipping so I'll probably just stay with the copies I already have.

I agree on double dipping. There are so many films I have on standard DVD that I'd love to upgrade to the Blu-ray version but I have to draw the line somewhere.
However, in the case of the Universal serials that VCI releases, I make an exception. Some of my copies of these serials were unwatchable and I found that I wasn't giving these films their due. The pristine copies of THE VANISHING SHADOW, RIDERS OF DEATH VALLEY, GANG BUSTERS and the Buck Jones serials from VCI have given me a new appreciation for the Universal style. I have PHANTOM OF THE AIR and PIRATE TREASURE pre-ordered and hope that the restoration of Tom Tyler's JUNGLE MYSTERY will eventually see a release.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
GANGBUSTERS is stunning as is The Vanishing Shadow - and the Buck Jones serials and also Wild West Days - picture quality on Pirate's Treasure looks fantastic - check out there upcoming Angel On My Shoulder this best this classic will look!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks