What's new

VCI should resume work on their long awaited UNCUT pre-code "RAIN" 1932 (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Never saw this film - - heard VCI was working on it, they posted this recently, is it a good film? But being pre-code and UNCUT bet it's a hoot!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Never saw this film - - heard VCI was working on it, they posted this recently, is it a good film? But being pre-code and UNCUT bet it's a hoot!

I saw a gorgeous 35mm print sometime in the '70s. Well directed and photographed. I've seen all versions of the story and feel that Crawford's interpretation is too harsh. You get the feeling that she's a hard-as-nails prostitute. But Sadie Thompson is a good-time girl, and Swanson's and Hayworth's interpretations emphasize that. Sadie enjoys her boys, unabashedly. I'd flee from Crawford.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
But being pre-code and UNCUT bet it's a hoot!
Stick with the Swanson version or Rita Hayworth version. Even Crawford hated the film. This is what she had to say about it:

"I hope they burn every print of that turkey that's in existence. It's simply awful. I don't understand to this day how I could have given such an unpardonably bad performance. Lewis Milestone's direction was so feeble I took the bull by the horns and did my own Sadie Thompson. I was wrong every scene of the way."

If you're hoping for "camp", it's too dull and earnest for that.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Stick with the Swanson version or Rita Hayworth version. Even Crawford hated the film. This is what she had to say about it:

"I hope they burn every print of that turkey that's in existence. It's simply awful. I don't understand to this day how I could have given such an unpardonably bad performance. Lewis Milestone's direction was so feeble I took the bull by the horns and did my own Sadie Thompson. I was wrong every scene of the way."

If you're hoping for "camp", it's too dull and earnest for that.
Checked IMDB and it gets a 6.9 rating some people love it some people not so much -- RAH had this to say a couple of years back "Sounds promising. If it's finished correctly, without over-processing, could be a winner."
We do need more pre-code to be released hope more come our way, wondered why Warners stopped their great Forbidden Hollywood series?

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have 3 versions of (Swanson, Crawford, and Hayworth) and love all of them. Ill get this whenever it comes out !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks