VCI is selling DVD-R's. Will this start a new trend?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by William Miller, Dec 4, 2003.

1. William Miller

William Miller Stunt Coordinator

Feb 13, 2000
    I just got in the mail a Christmas catalog from VCI. They are offering 14 new DVD titles that will only be available on the DVD-R format. The titles are mostly B Westerns. The covers look very nice. The price is $9.99 each.

VCI states the reason they are doing is:

"It means that we don't have to produce thousands of copies of a single title required by the big DVD replication companies. That means that VCI is able to release many more titles, which in the past might never been released on DVD, beause of the high production cost."

I know that there are many small companies who are now releasing DVD-R's of public domain or legally obscure titles but this is the first of a bigger, more legitimate company doing it.

VCI will still release titles in the normal format also but they do raise an interesting point.

Would you be willing to buy a no frills DVD-R for titles that probably would never have been released otherwise? For instance,I love what Warner is doing with their releases but at the rate they are going, it will take about 400 years to release their vast catalog of MGM, RKO and Warner films. I would gladly pay $9.99 for lesser titles from their catalog on DVD-R as long as they have adequate transfers and a nice color cover.

The big studios could make master copies of all their films and just make them to order on DVD-R. This may be the only chance we will have to get many of the thousands of films from the classic era on DVD.

For the record, here are the new VCI DVD-R titles:

"Bells of Rosarita" Roy Rogers
    "Home in Oklahoma" Roy Rogers
    "Dawn of the Great Divide" Buck Jones
    "Western Cyclone" & "Sherriff of Sage Valley" Buster Crabbe
    "Rider of the Whistling Pines" Gene Autry
    "Rim of the Canyon" Gene Autry
    "Trouble in Texas" & "Oklahoma Raiders" Tex Ritter
    "Ghost Town Gold" & "Come On, Cowboys" Robert Livingston
    "St. Benny the Dip" Dick Haymes
    "The Great Flamarion" Erich von Stroheim
    "California" Jock Mahoney
    "Jesse James' Women" Don "Red" Barry
    "Oklahoma Annie" Judy Canova
    "Road to Hollywood" Bing Crosby documentary from 1946
  2. Matt Rexer

Matt Rexer Stunt Coordinator

Oct 3, 2002
    Wow... this is great! My hope would be that obscure TV shows could be released in this way. I know, for example, there's not a chance that old school Saturday morning cartoons like "Galaxy High" will ever get a major release... but slamming them bare bones on DVD-R could actually happen.

I'm all for it.
  3. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

Sep 9, 2001
    Except that there are alot of older DVD players that can not play DVD-R.

But, considering that you can buy a DVD player for $30 that can play everything under the sun, I guess its a moot point now.

4. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Jan 18, 2002
    Or you could just record them on DVD-R yourself from Turner Classic Movies or one of the multiplexed premium networks.

A&E has recently started to use DVD+R for selling copies of the documentaries that aren't out on DVD proper.

Since the vast majority of DVD players made in the last three years can play DVD-R, DVD+R and DVD+RW, I think we'll see more of this.
  5. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Jun 17, 2000

Dave Scarpa Producer

Apr 8, 1999
    David Scarpa
    Yeah I just took a chance and Ordered War of the Collassal Beast from Sinister Cinema I've never ordered from them before but if it goes well I'll get The Amazing Collossal Man as well.
  7. Mark Hammon

Mark Hammon Stunt Coordinator

Jan 14, 2001
    Disneyland in Southern California sold CDrs of music. I purchased THE HAUNTED MANSION and was furious I paid $17.00+ for a CDr! There was nothing on the package that said it was a copy. To add insult to injury it was written as TAO vs DAO so there were clicks between each track during playback. The cover looked like it had been printed with a Deskjet printer. I thought it was odd, when I first saw the packaging but I was thrilled to have the music to the ride. I returned the disc to a local Disney store who refunded my money.

My point being, we will never know the quality of the product we are purchasing. I'm inclined to go with "Steve" that we can record them ourselves.

Anyone remember the TWILIGHT ZONE TV series fiasco?
  8. obscurelabel

obscurelabel Stunt Coordinator

Dec 11, 2003
    Something like this is done with the Folkways record catalog. When sold to the Smithsonian, one of the terms of sale was that every record released by the company always be available for sale, i.e., in print. They have a lot of very obscure titles of folk, blues, bluegrass, etc. ... to accomplish having them all available without having to do large production runs for the more obscure titles, these are avaliable as CD-Rs with laser printed liner notes (these were usually pretty extensive on the original LP issues). If they run out of CD-Rs, the next time that someone orders one, they make five and save the other four for the next buyers.

If done correctly (important "if"), I don't see why this wouldn't be a boon for those seeking more obscure video titles.