1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

VCD's in Southeast Asia?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Cooper Mckinnon, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Cooper Mckinnon

Cooper Mckinnon Auditioning

coop2good
    Guys do you know what VCD means? its all over Southeast Asia and it looks like making VCD's seems to haved stopped! And you know what I mean WHAT I MEAN? WHEN YOU PUT A VCD IN FOR EXAMPLE Finding Nemo in Hong Kong (From Intercontinental Video Ltd) And! The Video quality is So POOR!!! Its like watching a CAM copy that was filmed in cinemas from America!!! You know what I mean for example when 40 mins end you will to put the second disc in and its like the worst thing they have ever done!!! So if you want to know about VCD Then join the conversation!

2. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

VCD as in Video CD?

I saw a few of those for sale in U.S. stores, around the time that DVD-Video was coming out. The NTSC ones store video in the form of 352x240 pixel MPEG-1 files on a CD-ROM. Audio consists of stereo MP2 (not MP3) with a bit rate of 224 Kbps. Wikipedia claims you can get up to 80 minutes of video on one disc. (If Wikipedia is to be believed, VCD designers got rid of some of the error correction normally present in CD-ROMs to squeeze a bit more content onto the discs.)

DVD-Video has a resolution of 720x480 non-square pixels, a newer codec (MPEG-2), and a carrier with much greater storage (4 – 18 GB vs. maybe 700 MB). It also provides for either compressed 5.1 surround sound, or uncompressed PCM stereo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_CD

3. Cooper Mckinnon

coop2good
    Yeah I know! what companies does it say on your VCD'S did you get them or nah?

4. Thomas Newton

I'm not surprised that "making VCD's seems to have stopped!" Once upon a time, VHS and VCD may have been low-end distribution formats for legitimate studio offerings. Now DVD-Video has replaced VHS, and probably replaced VCD, in that role.

With regard to the copy of Finding Nemo you mention, I've never heard of that publisher. Are you sure that they are an official partner of Disney? Or is there a chance of that VCD being a bootleg? VCD quality is terrible even for authorized discs. I can only imagine how terrible the quality would be if the source was a bootleg video of a theatrical showing taken on someone's phone.

5. Thomas Newton

I don't have any VCDs. When I saw the demo in the store, the quality was so bad that I knew that I didn't want any of those. It also biased me against DVD-Video discs until I saw a demo of them in the same store, and noticed that the problems with DVD weren't nearly as bad.

Maybe one day, if I come across a VCD in a thrift shop, I'll buy it to add to the "dead format" collection.

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I think I still have my VCDs of the original Star Wars trilogy that I imported for Malaysia or Singapore in 2001 or so, when I was first getting into DVDs. The anamorphic DVDs were still a few years off at that point, so these were pan and scan 4x3 VCDs replacing pan and scan VHS tapes. The source was the 1997 versions of the Special Edition cuts, before the further tinkering for the DVDs. Each movie was split over two discs.

7. Cooper Mckinnon

coop2good
    AND! WHAT VIDEO COMPANY WAS THE STAR WARS VCDS MADE FROM?

8. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I think those were officially put out by Fox. VCDs look worse than VHS tapes though. I have a few of the Philips releases in the US in the early 90s, those look pretty bad but are about as best as the format is capable of looking. I'm glad Oppo kept support for these in their latest players, although the Philips discs play squeezed for some reason.

9. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Screenwriter
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    I have the official Fox VCD release of The Sound of Music. Quality looks about like VHS.

10. Cooper Mckinnon

coop2good
    AND WHAT COUNTRY WAS THE VCD IMPORTED FROM? AND WHAT COMPANY?

11. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Why is this thread in the Movies section. Can a moderator move it to the appropriate forum? Certainly doesn’t belong here.

12. Cooper Mckinnon

coop2good
    Yeah I know! That is what it is! It does not say VCD on this site whatever! so that's why I wanted to create a conversation because VCD looked like VHS!

13. Thomas Newton

VHS is dead as a doornail. Nobody even manufactures VHS tape decks any more. In the U.S., VCD has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. I guess they do look alike!

14. Cooper Mckinnon

coop2good
    Haha! Funny joke!